Palettes to Toolbars

Rage221677

I have been using AutoCAD since R13 and as all with much experience, the command line is your friend. I have also tried to use toolbars and new addition ribbons so that way I can learn multiple ways of creating the same outcome. I have not had much experience with palettes (by choice). I am now using AutoCAD MEP 2012 and I HATE having to use the palettes. I am also using QuickPen PipeDesigner 3D and I would like to make a custom toolbar with common commands instead of having to fill out all the information on the palettes EVERY time I want to insert a pipe/fitting/valve/branch etc...I just want to be able to "Join To" (CadPipe command) and just click any selection off a toolbar rather than HAVING TO use the palettes 100% of the time. Is there ANY way I can do this???

Tool Palettes are absolutely great in my opinion, once you get the hang of them. I can't speak for QuickPen but AutoCAD MEP components make life SO much easier, since you can right-click > Properties anything on the Tool Palette and make customizations that greatly increase efficiency.

Speaking of, are you meaning the Ribbon by chance?

ReMark: I am familiar with the Customization Guide. I am familiar with making my own custom toolbars. What I am not familiar with is how to incorporate a command I have to fill out in a palette and placing it into a customized toolbar. For example: I am currently using CadPipe 2012 which is AutoCAD based. Say I want to place a pipe and join it to an existing pipe in the drawing. I would utilize my customized toolbar that I created that had the common CadPipe commands (Join To, Cut To Length, Branches, Valves, Fittings, Query, etc…)and I would use the command “Join To” and select the existing pipe. Then I would select the “Cut To Length” command on the toolbar and enter in the desired length of the pipe and I would be done. By joining to the existing pipe, the new pipe that was just placed had taken the properties of the existing pipe so I don’t have to enter all that specific information in a palette-type procedure. That is what I am looking for in AutoCAD MEP. It seems I have to give the specific information every time I want to place something into the drawing. This is the issue I am having.

StykFacE: As for the Ribbon, QuickPen offers 3 tabs which are more for orientation rather than assist with the drawing process. One is called PD3D Annotate which offers assistance with dimensioning/annotating the drawing(tags, spool naming, etc.). Another is called PD3D Tools which assists with inserts, conversions, insulation, etc. The last is called PD3D Draw but it focusses more on placing vessels, tanks, pumps etc…Not so much the pipe, valves, fittings, branches, flanges, etc…which make up most of the drawing. I am somewhat new to the AutoCAD MEP world but no stranger to the AutoCAD and 3D drawing world(using other 3D software). I have noticed on the AutoCAD MEP ribbons that there are panels with pipe, fitting, valves, etc…to select from to place into a drawing but once one of those options are selected, the palette pops up asking for the specifics for the item selected. I hope we don’t have to enter in the specifics every time an item is needed to be placed into a drawing. That is what I like about my example above. All I would have to do is “Join To” an existing pipe and the properties of that particular pipe is passed over to the pipe that I would be currently placing that time.

I am just looking for some assistance from the AutoCAD MEP Guru’s. I know there is much knowledge to be gained from this forum and I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Ah, I see what you're doing more clearly now.

1st off, there's different types of Palettes in AutoCAD. There's the Properties Palette (which is what you're referring to) and then there's Tool Palettes (which is what I was referring to). If you get familiar with Tool Palettes, this is how you can automate processes in your favor. Every time you initiate an MEP command then yes, you have to resort to the Properties Palette to make your parameters the way you want them with whatever system you're working with. At best, it uses the last saved settings but I agree it can't go further. This is exactly where Tool Palettes step in and allows you to place customizations and set the parameters to your liking so that whenever you initiate items from Tool Palettes, all your "presets" are there.

And AutoCAD MEP has many features to automate the process of inheriting systems upon joining Duct or Piping objects, etc. This is all set up in the Options dialog box, through the many MEP tabs. Also, each Discipline of Systems have their own "Routing Preferences" that you set defaults for AutoCAD MEP to remember so you can greatly increase efficiency as you're designing. This is how you "tell" AutoCAD MEP what you want to happen when a certain piping system connects with another piping system, etc.