Corridor surface spot elevations

Cardinal

I am creating a road corridor in which I am going to produce a sheet with just spot elevations on a grid and edge of road linework. I want to turn everything else off to clean up the sheet. When I turn off the contours, the spot elevations go off with it.

I have placed the spot elevations on a different layer through properties.

I have put the label on a different layer through the label style.

I seem to be missing the connection to separate the surface layer from label layer, or will they always both be connected? The same happens with utility structures and labels. If you turn off the structure, the label turns off as well, even though on a different layer in the properties.

You may need the spot elevations to be points in a seperate group this way they would be independant of surface, we do this for setout points.

One solution, which has some obvious defects, is to define a surface style with nothing visible. Apply it to your surface. The spot elevations should still be visible, and the surface layer may be on, but you won't see any contours.

Of course, you'll have to change the surface style every time you want to print that sheet and change it back when you're done. Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to define different surface styles in different viewports?

You could create a separate drawing, import the surface as a data shortcut, and apply the "invisible" style in that drawing only. If you don't use the spot elevations anywhere else, you could create them in that drawing only. Depending on your work environment, you may not be able to do that, but it may be the best answer.

Thanks, both great ideas.

One solution, which has some obvious defects, is to define a surface style with nothing visible. Apply it to your surface. The spot elevations should still be visible, and the surface layer may be on, but you won't see any contours.

Of course, you'll have to change the surface style every time you want to print that sheet and change it back when you're done. Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to define different surface styles in different viewports?

You could create a separate drawing, import the surface as a data shortcut, and apply the "invisible" style in that drawing only. If you don't use the spot elevations anywhere else, you could create them in that drawing only. Depending on your work environment, you may not be able to do that, but it may be the best answer.

This got us brainstorming. We were able to change the color of the contours only in the viewport to a color that our pen table doesn't plot. This left the surface layer on and the points still dynamic. Thanks for the idea!

Would be very helpful to change the surface style in viewports, also would be nice to turn layers to no-plot per viewport which was another unsuccessful idea.