Which scale?

Dear All

I have encountered a confusing problem, regarding the scale of my plans. I haven´t drwan the attached plans, both have the scale of 1:50, according to drawer. I have to calculate the area of some rooms by means of command" area". In both of them, when I measure the length of figure, it´s correct but I have to divide it by 1000. For exapmle, in the plan, it´s writen that the width of door is 80cm, when I calculate it by Autocad, it says 800( it´s without unit, but all time by dividing it by 1000, gives correct answer).

I drew a pink shape in two attached plans, just for example, and calculated the area of them, whith command "area".

1. In file number 2, it´s area is 11669552. If I divide it by 1000*1000, gives me 11,66 m², which is correct.
  2. But in file number 1, it gives me 11134, I´m sure that it´s wrong but don´t know how to calculate it correctly! I don´t know according to what, autocad gives me this number. How can I make it the same as file number 2?

It´s more confusing that I have this problem, sometimes, in 1 plan! means that when I calculate it at first, it´s correct, but some minutes after, it gives me wrong number for other shap :geek:

I tried to make the units the same; therefore, I typed command " units" and changed it to milimeter, meter, foot,... but nothing changed at all! Means that, when I selected it as milimeter, and drew a line with legnth of 5, then changed the unit to meter, and drew a line with the legnth of 5, both line had same legnth:roll:

Please explain me what is my problem, and how can I fix it. And also, because I use german version of AutoCAD, please tell me the alternative ways, because I have to write many commands, in German, otherwise it doesn´t work.

Thank you

1.dwg

2.dwg

Welcome to the forum :)

I have opened both drawings and all is alright! Distances, areas, units (mm), scale (1:1 in model space)... I have no idea what could be wrong :?

If you are talking about the magenta (pink) color lines in the "Wohnen / Essen" room then it could be the location of the polyline. In drawing 1 the polylineis in paper space on the GR_H1_ 2.OG_04 layout. In drawing 2 the polyline is in model space.

Welcome to the forum :)

I have opened both drawings and all is alright! Distances, areas, units (mm), scale (1:1 in model space)... I have no idea what could be wrong :?

Thank you.

I downloaded my attachments, again, and tested them. Both of them are as I told you :? really, what is the problem?

If you are talking about the magenta (pink) color lines in the "Wohnen / Essen" room then it could be the location of the polyline. In drawing 1 the polylineis in paper space on the GR_H1_ 2.OG_04 layout. In drawing 2 the polyline is in model space.

Both of them, are in the similar location. file number 1 in GR_H1_ 2.OG_04, and file number 2, in GR_H1_ 1.OG_03. By the way, do you have any solution for this problem?

Welcome to the forum. :)

Both of these drawings have been done on IMPERIAL templates, and are displaying accurate metric dimension in Modelspace, in units of METERS.

They are both drawn 1:1.

If you enter a value on this drawing you are entering it in millimeters, not METERS.

In order to create a one meter long line in modelspace you need to enter the length as 1000.

As profcad has rightly stated, one of your shapes is in modelspace, and on the other drawing it is in paperspace.

Having UNLOCKED viewports, of different scales, is only going to make your life hell.

Do you expect the areas of the 2 magenta shapes shown in the attachment to be the same? Clearly they are of differing sizes and shapes.

Do your measurements and area calculations in Modelspace to be safe, as it is drawn at 1:1.

If you turn on your QUICK PROPERTIES palette or your PROPERTIES you can get immediate area calculations for any closed polylines.

I like using QUICK PROPERTIES which you can access in your right click short cut menu, or turn them on at the bottom of your screen, left of center, second icon from the right.

The QUICK PROPERTIES area displayed is in square millimeters, as you already seem to understand.

the scale difference between modelspace and your viewport.JPG

they don't look the same to me.JPG

area represented as sqacre millimeters.JPG

Welcome to the forum. :)

Both of these drawings have been done on IMPERIAL templates, and are displaying accurate metric dimension in Modelspace, in units of METERS.

They are both drawn 1:1.

If you enter a value on this drawing you are entering it in millimeters, not METERS.

In order to create a one meter long line in modelspace you need to enter the length as 1000.

As profcad has rightly stated, one of your shapes is in modelspace, and on the other drawing it is in paperspace.

Having UNLOCKED viewports, of different scales, is only going to make your life hell.

Do you expect the areas of the 2 magenta shapes shown in the attachment to be the same? Clearly they are of differing sizes and shapes.

Do your measurements and area calculations in Modelspace to be safe, as it is drawn at 1:1.

If you turn on your QUICK PROPERTIES palette or your PROPERTIES you can get immediate area calculations for any closed polylines.

I like using QUICK PROPERTIES which you can access in your right click short cut menu, or turn them on at the bottom of your screen, left of center, second icon from the right.

The QUICK PROPERTIES area displayed is in square millimeters, as you already seem to understand.

Thank you.

I havn´t cared with scale and model space, but now I understand that they are so important, and can be confusing :(. I would be appreciated if you answer the following questions. ( Sorry, if they are basically questions :oops:)

1. What is imperial template?
  2. How can I understand, in which space is my plan?
  3. How can I prevent unlocked viewpoints?
  4. Hw can I transfer all of them to modelspace in order to measure the area?
  5. How do you understand in which real scale my drawings are drawn? It was written that, it´s scale is 1:50, according to drawer, and when I used it, it was 1:1000, but now you tell me that it´s 1:1. Could you please describe me this confusion?

Thank you very much for your attention. :)

Those of us who live in the United States are more likely to use an imperial template which would gives us access to unit types like decimal, architectural, engineering, etc.

If you are in a Layout it is more than likely you will see an icon of a blue triangle in the lower left-hand corner of your screen. The Layout tab will be highlighted. The word PAPER will appear in your Task Bar (bottom of your screen) in the lower right-hand corner.

Viewports can be locked via the Properties palette as well as a couple of other different ways.

How can you transfer what to model space?

It is highly recommended that all model space objects be drawn to FULL size and not drawn to a scale as one would do on a drafting board. It doesn't matter if you are drawing something the size of a paperclip or the world's tallest building. Draw both at FULL size.

Scales become important when the user switches to a paper space layout and starts to use viewports.

The scale mentioned of 1:50 is the scale at which it was displayed in the viewport, and so also the scale at which it was displayed on the printed drawing.

The actual DRAWING is in modelspace, not paperspace.

When you are working in modelspace everything should be drawn full size, 1:1, with no scaling.

Scale doesn't come into play until you start working in VIEWPORTS.

Remember that a viewport is essentially a translucent window through your sheet of paper,

to the DRAWING which should be full scale in modelspace behind.

No matter what you are drawing up to and including the solar system and beyond, you do it full size.

Given that, it is more than likely that you will typically have to scale the view shown through

your viewport to fit what you want to show in the viewport on your printed file.

You can set the scale of a viewport by selecting it in paperspace, and adjusting the scale in the PROPERTIES or the QUICK PROPERTIES palette.

If you have the VIEWPORT SCALE enabled in the lower right hand corner of your screen you can also change it there.

There is also an icon available there to lock or unlock the viewport.

Once you have adjusted it to display what, how (visualstyle), and at the scale you want LOCK the viewport, so that it can not be

inadvertently changed while you or someone else is working with or on the drawing.

If you look at the image you will see all of the relevant information regarding

the selected viewport displayed in my QUICK PROPERTIES palette, and you will see

the viewport scale and lock icons circled in red.

You can have lots of different viewports on a sheet, and each may display different perspective, visual styles, layer visibility states and scales.

A viewport should always be created on a dedicated layer ( I use Mview) , and that layer should be set as nonprinting.

Double clicking inside of a viewport will take you through the window to modelspace.

Double click outside of the viewport to return to paperspace.

To cycle through available viewports on a sheet double click into any of them,

then use CTRL+R to switch from one to another.

It occurs to me that you may not have your Model and Layout tabs displayed on your screen.

You can see them circled in the image, as well as the location on the DISPLAY tab of your OPTIONS

where you would turn them on or off. To display the OPTIONS enter OPTIONS at the commandline.

When working on the drawing, select the MODEL tab, and in that way you won't need to worry about scale,

as these 2 drawings are drawn FULL size. They just look small because you have zoomed way out so that you can look at them.

layout and model tabs.jpg

Edited by Dadgad

The scale mentioned of 1:50 is the scale at which it was displayed in the viewport, and so also the scale at which it was displayed on the printed drawing.

The actual DRAWING is in modelspace, not paperspace.

When you are working in modelspace everything should be drawn full size, 1:1, with no scaling.

Scale doesn't come into play until you start working in VIEWPORTS.

Remember that a viewport is essentially a translucent window through your sheet of paper,

to the DRAWING which should be full scale in modelspace behind.

No matter what you are drawing up to and including the solar system and beyond, you do it full size.

Given that, it is more than likely that you will typically have to scale the view shown through

your viewport to fit what you want to show in the viewport on your printed file.

You can set the scale of a viewport by selecting it in paperspace, and adjusting the scale in the PROPERTIES or the QUICK PROPERTIES palette.

If you have the VIEWPORT SCALE enabled in the lower right hand corner of your screen you can also change it there.

There is also an icon available there to lock or unlock the viewport.

Once you have adjusted it to display what, how (visualstyle), and at the scale you want LOCK the viewport, so that it can not be

inadvertently changed while you or someone else is working with or on the drawing.

If you look at the image you will see all of the relevant information regarding

the selected viewport displayed in my QUICK PROPERTIES palette, and you will see

the viewport scale and lock icons circled in red.

You can have lots of different viewports on a sheet, and each may display different perspective, visual styles, layer visibility states and scales.

A viewport should always be created on a dedicated layer ( I use Mview) , and that layer should be set as nonprinting.

Double clicking inside of a viewport will take you through the window to modelspace.

Double click outside of the viewport to return to paperspace.

To cycle through available viewports on a sheet double click into any of them,

then use CTRL+R to switch from one to another.

It occurs to me that you may not have your Model and Layout tabs displayed on your screen.

You can see them circled in the image, as well as the location on the DISPLAY tab of your OPTIONS

where you would turn them on or off. To display the OPTIONS enter OPTIONS at the commandline.

When working on the drawing, select the MODEL tab, and in that way you won't need to worry about scale,

as these 2 drawings are drawn FULL size. They just look small because you have zoomed way out so that you can look at them.

Dear Dagdad

Thank you for your attention. According to my settings, model tabs and lay outs are shown, but I cannot use them, meaning that when I switch from tab "GR_H1_2.G_04" through tab "Model", I only see a black background with no plan for measurement, What should I do?

My autocad.jpg

Dear Dagdad

Thank you for your attention. According to my settings, model tabs and lay outs are shown, but I cannot use them, meaning that when I switch from tab "GR_H1_2.G_04" through tab "Model", I only see a black background with no plan for measurement, What should I do?

Try to do a Zoom > Extents : either doubleclick on your middle button / scroll wheel or type ZOOM and then E for Extents. That should show your plan.

Try to do a Zoom > Extents : either doubleclick on your middle button / scroll wheel or type ZOOM and then E for Extents. That should show your plan.

Thank you for your response. How can I make it´s backgorund, white? like vewports, to make it more clear?

Bests

Type in OPTIONS and go to the tab DISPLAY, click the button Colors at the left side and change the 2D Model Space - Uniform Background to White.

Thank you for your response. How can I make it´s backgorund, white? like vewports, to make it more clear?

Bests

I wouldn't change the background color. The differing colors are the easiest way to keep you from drawing on the wrong one at a glance.