opening existing drawings in wrong units

I have a problem with my autocad.

The administrator started me out on AutoCAD 2012 global.

The problem existed then so...

Now he has me on AutoCAD 2012 Imperial

The problem still exists.

The issue:

When I open an existing drawing that I have never opened with my version of Autocad. It opens the drawing in Metric units. I do not want Metric units. I would like it in Imperial units. Every time I open an existing drawing, I have to change the units to Architectural. Very annoying, since I am the CAD coordinator for the office...

Any help would be appreciated.

J

Have you checked the DIMENSIONSTYLE in the drawing which you are opening?

If it is set to decimal, or if the drawing is on a metric template wouldn't you expect that?

In the dimstyle dialog box, as shown in the image, you are presented with

different unit format options. Decimal will always display as shown.

This is not the same as UNITS of a drawing which are controlled by the template

upon which the drawing was created.

The way the dimensions display is not stored in your PROFILE, but in the drawing.

units format in dimstyle.JPG

I agree, the drawing was created with either imperial or metric settings. Could you elaborate a little on "opens the drawing in Metric units?" What identifies the drawing as opening in metric? If it is a drawing that was created from a metric template, just changing the units to architectural may not fix everything for you (like linetypes, scalelist, etc.).

Just curious, if you enter -dwgunits, what is the unit for length?

If you want to determine whether it was created ohn a metric or an imperial template you can

go to USER PREFERENCES tab in your OPTIONS and check the default scale list.

The default scalelist will be either Imperial or Metric, which will be determined by the template which was used for the drawing.

Edited by Dadgad

I have a problem with my autocad.

The administrator started me out on AutoCAD 2012 global.

The problem existed then so...

Now he has me on AutoCAD 2012 Imperial

The problem still exists.

The issue:

When I open an existing drawing that I have never opened with my version of Autocad. It opens the drawing in Metric units. I do not want Metric units. I would like it in Imperial units. Every time I open an existing drawing, I have to change the units to Architectural. Very annoying, since I am the CAD coordinator for the office...

Any help would be appreciated.

J

There is no problem. The units are stored in the .dwg file. The files were created in metric. You will need to change the units and scale everything in model space.