viewport - exact model space

serialkill

Hi to all,

i am not new to autocad, however, still have some areas that are not covered.

How to make viewport in layout exact size - like printing with window command - i have model with border around it and separate title box - the goal is to get everything in layout, however i can not manage to get exact model area in vieport - it is not snapping.

Please help :)

I’m not sure that understand. Is your border & title block drawn in Model? Those should be added in Paper Space and only the content of the drawing (sketches) should be in Model and shown trough viewports on the sheet.

thanks for your reply. Still a have a situation that everything is in model space. Can i snap with mview command to model space border and then fit viewport to layout?

also i ran in to strange units in layout, where can i change them into mm?

thanks

To move items from Model to Paper may either Cut & Paste them from one tab to another or check the CHSPACE command (although you should verify if is available in AutoCAD 2009).

To move items from Model to Paper may either Cut & Paste them from one tab to another or check the CHSPACE command (although you should verify if is available in AutoCAD 2009).

I am pretty sure the CHSPACE (change space) command is available in 2009. That would be my suggestion too Mircea. :thumbsup:

Step 1 insert your titleblock into the layout at true scale mm 840x594 etc open your mview within this titleblock area click into it zoom e etc set your plot scale of this window , plot the title block at 1:2 guranteed to work.

Further search here there are tutorials on how to do this very extensive and simply explained. I would stay away from CHSPACE I do not think that is what your after.

If stuck post simple dwg with title block will change it and post back.

Step 1 insert your titleblock into the layout at true scale mm 840x594 etc open your mview within this titleblock area click into it zoom e etc set your plot scale of this window , plot the title block at 1:2 guranteed to work.

Further search here there are tutorials on how to do this very extensive and simply explained. I would stay away from CHSPACE I do not think that is what your after.

If stuck post simple dwg with title block will change it and post back.

I agree with you BIGAL, and that is how I do it too, insert my block into Paperspace, best way to do it.

But within the context of there are things I want to move from Modelspace

to Paperspace, I think this gains a little traction, by way of a work-around.

I think there are a fair number of users who do not take know about,

or take advantage of this very useful command. :beer:

If I understand your situation, you need to plot a specific area at a specific scale. As others have suggested, it's usually a good idea to put your title block in paper space, mainly because that separates your linework from your paperwork (so to speak).

That leaves you with the job of creating a viewport to connect model space and paper space. When I have a specific area to show, I'll draw a rectangle on a nonplotting layer in model space as a frame. In paper space, you create a viewport, set it to the proper scale, and snap the corner of the viewport to the corners of the frame. The Sheet Set Manager can do the same thing, I believe.

You may need to adjust your coordinate system to align the plan in model space with the viewport. We nearly always have to adjust an architect's "building north" to real north, which means the plans are rotated. I suggest creating a new UCS and saving it (I use "Plan" as the name). When you create the viewport, restore the Plan UCS and you're done.