North Arrow rotation in title block with rotation property editable in SSM

rajeev_acpl

I am making a template file having title block with fields. I use this template for creating layouts and sheets using Sheet Set Manager and the fields will be updated from the data of SSM. Now i would like to add a dynamic north block to my template. The block could be rotated (i have this block in file itself) and rotation angle could be inserted. Now how can i add a custom field to SSM so that i could set a rotation angle for the project and thus every new layout or sheet created using the template has the north block rotated with the angle mentioned in SSM.

Here is the file...........

Template.dwg

Here's how I would approach it....

1. Set the desired rotation of the block named "North".

2. Now, create a block and select the block named "North", so that the North block is nested in the new block. (Tip: when I nest blocks like this, I tend to name the "host block" the same as the nested block, but with a "_Parent" at the end. So the new block will be titled "North_Parent" which signifies it's purpose)

3. After you save, drag/drop this new Block onto a Tool Palette. (Tip: It's best to have "job specific" Tool Palettes. This, of course, is contingent on your own internal production needs so it might not be justifiable.)

4. Right-click > Properties on the Block in the new Tool Palette and make sure Explode on Insert is set to "Yes".

This way, as you insert the block, it Explodes the "North_Parent" and just the "North" block is now exposed, but set in the pre-determined location you want. If you have need duplicates of this block for other jobs, simply copy the file as many times as needed in a "master" DWG file. When you Block each one for the "_Parent" then just name accordingly to match each job.

To me this is the simplest and most effective approach, without using LISP or other customizations. :)

Hi StykFace,

Thanks for your reply but i am afraid i did'nt make myself clear enough. Here is what i am trying to achieve:

1. My template block has fields which are updated by the data in SSM for particular/layout.

2. I want that the north block to be added to title block at say zero degrees i.e. north arrow facing up.

3. Now i want a property (maybe custom) of project in SSM (like project name etc.) which holds the value for degree of rotation of north block from its original position.

4. This way i will have a default title block for my organization and for each project i will have to define the north rotation only once(in SSM project sheet properties). Thereafter any layout or sheet i add to project will automatically have the north block rotated to desired angle.

Ah, I see. Why doing you simply XREF the Titleblock in your SSM Template file, then put the North Arrow inside the Titleblock? That way you make a change it's a global change. I'm sure you don't want to change your current setup but it sounds to me like you'll have to.

First of all, it is a pleasure to have you helping me out. If you have noticed, you and nuberOCD had mentioned the procedure of creating dynamic north block which i am using.

As a matter of fact, i recently started using layouts and SSM. Therefore i am still trying to setup a template file. My concern is, if i use XREF for title block, will the fields still gets updated (like rename and renumbering of sheets etc). Apart from that, i just wanted to know that is there a way by which we can make the block to rotate from SSM. I saw the rotation field in objects(field category)>object(field name)>block reference(object type)>rotation(property)

My concern is, if i use XREF for title block, will the fields still gets updated (like rename and renumbering of sheets etc).
Simple. Decide what's a "globally specific" Titleblock item, and what's a "sheet specific" Titleblock item. Anything "global" goes in the XREF (such as Project Name, Project Address, Company Logo, Titleblock Border, etc). Then all your "sheet" items go in the Template file, all as text/mtext with SSM Fields in place (such as Sheet Number, Sheet Title, Revisions, etc). This is the best way to divide it up.

Hope this helps. :)

I also use SSM heavily, custom properties, etc.. For the title block attributes though, I've segregated which attributes reference custom 'project' properties, and which reference custom 'sheet' properties.

This allows me to open a sheet set, and edit the sheet revision descriptions, etc. without ever opening the drawing within the editor (unless I need to actually change annotations, etc.).

Out title block is also a dynamic block, meaning one title block for each sheet type (i.e., exhibit, plan and profile, full plan, full profile, double plan and profile, etc.), and I've thrown in a few customizations by way of Menu, and Ribbon to make it easy for users to set all of that at the push of a button.

I couldn't use the XREF idea for the north arrow either, but that isn't to say that it's not a good idea. My plan sheets never 'all' go the same direction, as they need to orient along the roads and utilities I'm working on. I'd love to learn more about dynamic blocks, as our title block is the only dynamic block I've used really... Our logo is inside out north arrow, and I'd love to have that stay 'readable' according to the sheet's view, yet keep the north arrow at zero degrees.

I think you are right about the combination. Actually i was mot able to figure out the best practice for title blocks. As i said earlier, i am new for SSM and fields, dynamic blocks etc. Therefore more than the solution, i was curious if SSM, fields and dynamic block could do the trick. Just like getting the viewport scale in titleblock.

SSM stores information, and makes it easier to navigate, and organize a project. Dynamic blocks allow the user to specify optional paramters that affect said dynamic block, but AFAIK, there'es no ability to build into the dynamic block any form of 'logic'... For example: 'If this property in SSM has this value, then do this'

However, you can add small snippets of LISP code, or even .NET (given the SSM access that .NET offers), that can, upon loading a drawing into the editor, query a dependent property value, and act upon the dynamic block giving the illusion that 'it just works'.

Tannar's XREF suggestion is _far_ simpler to implement :thumbsup: :notworthy:; but it would be a fun waste of time to code it all up anyway. :geek:

Thanks renderman. I agree with you both. It also answered my query about what SSM and dynamic block could do. But i still hope there might be a trick to do this. Like when i tried to print viewport scale in titleblock, i was suggested that it could only be done by view label. But then i stumbled upon a blog where a trick was mentioned for the purpose.