Creating a profile view of an asbuilt road

loopfish

Hey guys,

I can't seem to find an answer to this by searching it up so sorry if its been asked before.

I have a set of centerline COGO points from a a temporary access road.

I need to show this centerline on a profile view, preferably against our current working surface.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I draw a polyline connecting the points, create the alignment, but then when I profile view its just a flat line. When I do the surface view it just shows the working surface ground.

Pretty sure this is a simple fix and I'm just being dumb but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

If I understand correctly, you have a surface with these points in it already, and you have an alignment connecting these points already? If so, I would then do profiles-> "create profile from surface"....in the dialog, choose your alignment and add the surface. If you already have a profile view to add it to, go to the "profile view properties", and check the "draw" box for the new profile. If you don't already have a profile view, create one and do the same check box.

Hope that is what you need...I started C3D in 2009 so I'm not sure what all has changed since then.

You said you have points but have you made a surface from those points yet? If there is a surface made from those points then just make sure that when you make a profile from the alignment that you reference the surface. Generally no elevation means no surface.

• 1 year later...

Adding to what Rick Dan said.

Make sure you pick your existing surface when creating the profile.

You will then have to create the Proposed Profile of the temporary access road.

"Profile" "profile creation tools" or create a surface of the proposed road first.

but being that it sounds like you only have center line points there is another way.

Create the profile using the existing Surface.

Then under the HOME tab look for "Profile and section views" Under that select "Profile view" then select "project objects to profile view" now go and pick the center line points then click the profile you just created and it will add the points to the profile.