Works from Command Line but not in LISP Program

Bill Tillman

(defun c:openvault ();/ fname)
 (vl-load-com)
 (setq fname (getfiled "" "//long_novell_path/Folder1/" "dwg" 16))
 (vl-file-copy (strcat fname) (strcat "//long_novell_path/Folder2" (substr fname (- (strlen fname) )))
 (if (/= fname nil)
   (setq fname (substr fname (- (strlen fname) ))
   (vla-activate (vla-open (vla-get-documents (vlax-get-acad-object)) (strcat "//long_novell_path/Folder2/" fname)))
   ); end if
 (princ); exit quietly
); end function

This is for working with files in a folder which is very restrictive in that the users have very limited rights. Thus all the gyrations here. I ask the user to choose the file they want to open. Make a copy of it in a temporary location, "Folder2" and then attempt to open the drawing from there.

Line number seven of the above code will work when I type it on the command line at the console, but it will not work when I run the LISP program. There may be something blantant in this but I'm not understanding why it will not work in my program.

Line 7 of your code is the 'else' statement for the if function and will only be evaluated if the variable 'fname' evaluates to nil; however, if 'fname' does evaluate to nil, the vl-file-copy expression would fail in any case.

(if (= bill dumba$$)
 (progn
   (setq thisline_will work)
   (command "MTEXT" "But only if he doesn't forget his progn")
 ); end progn
); end if

Darned progn....get me almost everytime. I must have too much on my plate these days.