Indent and select in NOTEPAD++

svorgodne

I recently changed program for creating lisps from VLISP to NOTEPAD++, because the second is having some features better than the first but still I cannot find some.

The two more important ones are selecting, and indenting or formatting text in VLISP.

Is there any way to copy this behavior in NOTEPAD++? By double clicking at the beginning of a parenthesis in VLISP, it selects the whole match and then it is possible to indent it with the Format Selection Button.

Thanks in advance

S

Thanks a lot anyhow. You may agree with me it is so useful inb VLISP, double click at the beginning of a parenthesis and the whole content highlights and it´s selected automatically, so u can immediately edit it as u want. That´s something I miss very much in Notepad++.

I´ll take a look on the link u sent. Thanks again

S

Thanks Lee, I have been using VLIDE already but I find very useful NOTEPAD++´s format since it is possible roll and unroll functions so I can have a better overview from each project. That´s one of the major reasons I was thinking about changing edit plattform.

Thanks

S

Yep, the source folding (or as you name it: roll) is one of the nice things about N+ (or for that matter any of the editors built with Scintilla). I particularly like it's regular expression search-n-replace; makes re-factoring a breeze. The biggest issue I have with Scintilla-based editors (like N+ or other) is thee-fold:

1. As you've found: its autoformat is not as well designed (if at all) as VLIDE's.
  2. Next to no way of getting debugging tools working from acad.
  3. Apropos & keyword help is not available outside of VLIDE.

For those reasons, I actually use both N+ (though I prefer SciTE over N+) together with VLIDE at once on large LSP files. It's much easier to get to a place in the code using N+ (a lot less scrolling - due to folding). But because VLIDE notices when an opened file has changed I can have the same LSP file open in both at the same time. Then make some changes in N+, save and Atl+Tab to VLIDE and answer Yes to reload from disc, then do my debigging from inside VLIDE. If you've also added the ALisp-specific keywords then N+'s auto-complete can also help a bit.

That way I get the best of both with minimal extra input.