architectural scale????

almondjoy

Welcome to the forum. :)

In your DIMENSION STYLE, choose MODIFY, then go to the PRIMARY UNITS tab and choose it there, in the UNIT FORMAT drop down, which is red circled and displaying DECIMAL in the image.

A more comprehensive way to do it would be using the -DWGUNITS command, which would enable you to confirm the drawing units of your drawing database too, as well as Units Format, Insertion Scaling settings, a good idea when there might be some question about whether a drawing is metric or imperial based, for instance. Just follow the commandline prompts, though it is also a good idea to hit F2, to open your commandline history text window while you are using it. :)

switching to architectural unit format.jpg

Actually you are not changing the scale you are changing the "types" of "units" your dimensions/distances are displayed in. Scale is an entirely different matter.

Remember that you should be drawing all your model space objects at FULL size, yes "FULL" size, no matter if you are drawing a paperclip or the world's tallest structure, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Scale comes into play when we switch to our paper space layout and create our viewport(s). Are you familiar with any of this or are these unheard of terms?

how do i change my scale to arch?

Type units, then click the top left button, then select Architectural from the drop down list, then set your precision level as you wish, click OK.

This is not changing your "scale" either, but it changes the display format, and input format of distances other than those shown in your dimensions, for example the results of the Distance command, and the format you can use to input distances for lines to be drawn. The dimension units display format is controlled by the dimension styles as Dadgad illustrated.

Back in the day, a Scale was a 3 sided stick with lines on it used to measure real "scaled" drawings on paper. In AutoCad, Scale is a word used exclusively to refer to a ratio to actual size of a drawing object that has been enlarged or shrunken to a scale other than actual (full) size, for instance 1:48 or 1/4" = 1'-0".

I thought "scale" was the price one paid to have a piano tuna come to your house and work on the Steinway.

If you need one, my younger brother is a Steinway piano tuna and tech living outside Boston, seeing as how you are in Connecticut.

But my guess is that an upstanding Bot like yourself would have a digitally altered player piano. :D