Looking for qselect on steroids!

I need a function similar to Qselect.

In this case I would like to select all entities on a series of layers. (i.e.: a-site-* or a-fill*). I know I can do this with qselect by doing each layer one at a time and append the existing selection set.

Instead, I've been locking all layers except the series I'm looking for, but it seems like there should be a quicker way.

Y'all have any ideas?

Alternatively may try the built-in FILTER command - define a combined filter for layer using wild-card characters:

a-site-*,a-fill*

For more information on such syntax, please check the WCMATCH AutoLISP function in help or on Internet.

Thanks Mircea!

I like the lisp approach in your first approach. I ran it off my command line and just changed the layer name wild cards as I went.

Also, Filter seems to be a great method. I'll have to give it a go next time.

Here are a couple more ways.

I use layer isolate, select one object from each layer to only show the objects on those layers, erase them with a window selection and then unisolate.

Layer manager is another option. Ctrl select the layers you want, right click and select "Invert Selection" and click on the light bulb. Erase erverything, then do layer previous.

I'm with Rob, Layer Isolate (LAYISO for short) would be my tip, I use that all the time. Depending on what you need to do with the objects once you have them selected ofcourse. And to get back to how it was before, just type LAYUNISO.

A heads-up: default in AutoCAD (at least in mine) is that LAYISO locks and fades all other layers - I always change that so that all other layers is frozen instead. You do that when you start the command and select Settings.

Yes Tiger, good one. I forgot about changing the settings. I use the all other layers off option which was the way it worked back in the day. Fade and lock did not make sense to me at all.

Yes Tiger, good one. I forgot about changing the settings. I use the all other layers off option which was the way it worked back in the day. Fade and lock did not make sense to me at all.

I use the lock and fade mostly. Makes it easy to adjust items on one layer in relation to objects on the others without accidentally selecting something not relative. If I need all but one layer off or frozen, I use LAYOFF (NOT A GOOD CHOICE FOR THAT COMMAND) or LAYFRZ or open the Layer Manager>Select the layer/layers I want ON>Right-Click>Invert Selection>Turn OFF or Freeze.

Just depends on the work being done.

P.S. Originally, I thought it made little sense as the DEFAULT setting.

Edited by SLW210
add info

• 2 weeks later...

I need clearification. I want to isolate some objectes; so I choose LAYISO. In ACAD 2010 that would turn off all layers except the one that had object I selected with LAYISO. Now in 2012 it just fade and locks. Correct? But how do I change that to turn off layer?