Center the SWEEP element

byk3bep

Hello, I'm having a problem with the sweep cmd. While working in acad2011 I noticed that the 3D solids created buy using the sweep cmd are not centered. In this case the the path that I used does not go through the center of the object (rectangle). I know how to set the base point for the object to sweep (in this case the rectangle) but this is not a quick fix, since I have to do it over and over again every time... I would like to find out what is causing the problem that i did not have earlier.

Hope that was clear.

Thank you for your time and help :)

Here is the result that i get from sweeping a rectangle along a straight line...

Thx for your help :)

I see what you mean, while annoying, I doubt that you will find a way to fix it, short of establishing a base point.

You could record an ACTION MACRO, or create a seemingly very simple (to those who write them) lisp to do it.

That is worrysome result.

It would be easy to overcome, but I would like to figure out why this one doesn't return symmetrical result.

The Base Point has been set to something other than the centroid of the rectangle. Reset the basepoint to the center, and the profile sweeps as expected.

I see I was a bit hasty with my previous post, as Base Point was already explored. :oops:

There seems to be some persistent centroid miscalculation when using polylines as sweep profiles. Converting the Polylines to Regions seems to fix the problem.

Nonetheless, this situation may warrant a Bug Report sent to the crew at Autodesk.

The Base Point has been set to something other than the centroid of the rectangle. Reset the basepoint to the center, and the profile sweeps as expected.

Can you tell me how to reset the basepoint. I know how to set it each time separately, but not "globally".

I hadn’t done all of the necessary background work before making that post, so that statement doesn’t amount to anything you didn’t already know: The Base Point needs to be set explicitly for each Sweep operation. It is rather surprising that the command uses the incorrect center – possibly some bug in the code.

The only relatively quick fix I could find was to convert the Polyline into a Region. That seems to center the geometry correctly for Sweep operations.