I Need to Flatshot or Slice an Entire Building

resullins

Ok, let me try to explain this... I am working on a building that was originally done in Revit, and I'm using AutoCAD.

The architect made the Revit file into a .dxf for me, but I have NO idea how to get the files I need from it. I need sections, elevations, etc. But I can't use SECTION or anything like that since everything imported as blocks.

I can't post the file, it's 130 MB. Does anyone know what to do? Help!

Ok, I'm going to bump this and ask for a favor... is there anyone here with REVIT that would like to make me two little sections?

Well, I only have a DXF file right now... but AC just doesn't have the tools to slice a whole building. I do have Dropbox though... would the RVT file be easier?

Would having the Revit model be easier isn't even a question when it comes to creating a section. 8)

Just ask for the Revit model, then put on your dropbox and PM me the link with a description of which sections you need exported.

Use 3ds Max to import your DXF file, then export out as SAT file and import the sat file into AutoCAD, it will be a solid object
Why would you go through all this trouble with a program she probably doesn't have, when Revit exports as solids anyways?

Why would you go through all this trouble with a program she probably doesn't

have, when Revit exports as solids anyways?

1- She can download 3dsMax trial and import the model into 3dsMax then export out any part she needs without even knowing how to work with the application.

Once exported she can work with the solid in Autocad

2- She doesn't have Revit either and she has to upload a 130 MB file to DropBox and have someone else do the sections

Even if she download Revit to get the sections, she needs to know how to do it

Regards

Adsk2007

1- She can download 3dsMax trial and import the model into 3dsMax then export out any part she needs without even knowing how to work with the application.
This is completely unnecessary. Why not download a free version of Revit, acquire the Revit model and then you have 30 days free trial to get any section your heart desires? After that, Revit becomes a "free viewer" which will benefit her more.

2- She doesn't have Revit either and she has to upload a 130 MB file to DropBox and have someone else do the sections. Even if she download Revit to get the sections, she needs to know how to do it
She didn't want to know how to do it. She asked for a favor. She's been a good and active member on this forum a long time, and we all need favors from time to time. Once I needed some Solidworks files converted. Sure I could have downloaded the program, installed the trial, etc - or utilize this community the way it was intended.

Your tip is a good one, no doubt. But I still stand by my original comment. The DXF export is solids, so your 3DSMax tip is going to do nothing more than she already has in her hands.

Maybe you are right and I agree with your comment about doing a favor - I also will help anyone if I could, I just thought Max would do the job much faster

The only thing I don't understand is a DXF file being a solid - Are you talking about DXF in AutoCAD or Revit? If you meant AutoCAD then I must say, I have never seen a dxf imported into CAD and become solid (Maybe I am wrong and this is possible, in that case I appreciate if you could explain how that is possible or how to have it as a solid in CAD) However if you meant in Revit, Then I just have to say a dxf in Max is also a solid

my 2 cents

Regards

Adsk2007

Maybe you are right and I agree with your comment about doing a favor - I also will help anyone if I could, I just thought Max would do the job much faster

The only thing I don't understand is a DXF file being a solid - Are you talking about DXF in AutoCAD or Revit? If you meant AutoCAD then I must say, I have never seen a dxf imported into CAD and become solid (Maybe I am wrong and this is possible, in that case I appreciate if you could explain how that is possible or how to have it as a solid in CAD) However if you meant in Revit, Then I just have to say a dxf in Max is also a solid

my 2 cents

Regards

Adsk2007

I'm sitting in my kitchen on my laptop as I type this, working in Revit on a personal project (designing an outdoor patio/bar for my house and will be building come spring). Just to make certain, I opened a default 3D View, and exported as a DXF and opened it in AutoCAD and sure enough, it's 3D Solids as I've always known (as long as the settings are set to Solids and not Polyface Mesh in the Export options). So it's confirmed. The 130MB DXF size gave it away that it's 3D Solids.

So, once again.... the 3DSMax tip is a good one, but in my opinion simply is not, in any form, the best tip for her particular scenario. :)