IMPORTING Text from CAFM system into AutoCAD ...

3rdElle

My CAFM system generates text on a floor plan example: Employee Names and Room Numbers that reside right inside of the room. I wanted to take this information back into my AutoCAD drawing. I want to be able to open my drawing

in AutoCAD and see these labels just the way they appear in CAFM diagram.

Is there a way to import this data? Maybe an Excel spreadsheet or maybe a csv file?

My thougths that might help ...

The database is connected to the drawing by entity handles that define each polyline on the floor plan. Can I use this data somehow to get the import I need?

What CAFM system are you using? The one I use simply puts this data on a separate layer within the DWG itself. Now it shows it in 2 ways. One in the windows client that actually opens and displays the DWG. The other is a web based client that shows the text in a different way. You should be able to export the data base and re-connect it to the dwg but displaying some of the information might be a trick.

The CAFM system I use is called: Sequentra. Unlike Archibus there is no AutoCAD overlay. The AutoCAD drawings first get converted to a drw file then uploaded which allows them to be displayed using flash. The database is seperate and has to be either uploaded by batch or manually entered per room record or occupant record. So once these records are assosciated to a polyline on the drawing, the drawing text (room codes, occupant names, category types, etc) appears on the diagram. I want to take this text and import it to the AutoCAD drawing and have it placed the same way it is placed on the diagram. I realize that the text then will be static on the AutoCAD file and I will have to make any text changes after I re-upload the new drawing to the CAFM system. The manipulating of polylines and people and room numbers will be done in AutoCAD so when I upload the revised drawing the text can appear in the upploaded drawing, but it wont be part of the database.