Polyline to an Arrow

Casio47

Hello All...

I have a feeling this question has been asked again & again...and yes ReMark, I did a search on it.

If I wish to create an arrow, which will joggle all over my drawing, to represent a work flow, how can I do this?

In other words, how do I place an arrowhead at the end of my polyline, and areas along the polyline, as it reaches it's finial destination?

Thanks for the help!

How about changing the width for the last segment of the polyline? That segment can have a desired start width and zero end width, so it will look like a triangle (or an arrow head, if you wish).

Create a block then use either the Divide or Measure command, Block option, to place the arrow head at set intervals.

Another option might be a custom linetype that emulates arrows such as - - - -> - - - - > - - - - >. Get the idea?

"Joggle all over...?" You must be thinking of Santa Claus. Or jello.

Make a linetype would be easiest for using again and again.

See THIS THREAD.

Sorry, posted to the wrong thread...

I'm doing something wrong here...I have unzipped the ltfly.vlx to my desktop. I'm not following you on the dragging part of it you write of in your instructions? I'm also getting an unrecognized command on the APPLOAD command. Not sure what to do?

Thanks for the help

I believe that you stated in other thread that you are using an AutoCAD clone; the VLX format is compiled AutoLISP and most probably isn't supported by that application.

Can you post a picture of the linetype you are looking for?

I believe that you stated in other thread that you are using an AutoCAD clone; the VLX format is compiled AutoLISP and most probably isn't supported by that application.

Can you post a picture of the linetype you are looking for?

You are correct, I am trying this with DraftSight today, however, when I get to work tomorrow Ill try it on AutoCAD 2010. Having said this, I'm a rookie here with AutoCAD. I did look at the "previous thread" you speak of, and these arrow lines will work fine. The tread reads of creating a file with a .lin extension. If I crate this new file, with the new code, will it load when I select the linestyle in the layers manager...or do I browse for the file, and then will it load? And, is this the same idea with the post of SLW210 writes of?

Thanks

In AutoCAD when need to load a linetype definition in current drawing you need to call the LINETYPE command and then chouse Load - you will need to point to a native or custom collection of line types. Those are simple text (ASCII) files with LIN extension.

You may add the said definition to one of native collections shipped with AutoCAD (acad.lin or acadiso.lin) or create a custom file. I suggest you to use the second solution since will be easier when need to migrate.

Again, this is the situation in AutoCAD; in your tool you will need to discover the equivalent approach.

Ya-HOO!! It's working! I found where the .LIN files are stored in DraftSIGHT. I made a new text document and copy / paste:

*EXIT_LINE,Exit Path line -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > A,1,-.3,[">",STANDARD,S=1.5,R=0.0,X=-.1,Y=-.75],-1.5

It's not exactly correct, the lines between the >'s are not centered, but it's a start.

Thanks

Hello All...

I have a feeling this question has been asked again & again...and yes ReMark, I did a search on it.

If I wish to create an arrow, which will joggle all over my drawing, to represent a work flow, how can I do this?

In other words, how do I place an arrowhead at the end of my polyline, and areas along the polyline, as it reaches it's finial destination?

Thanks for the help!

if you are to use it in minimal, you can just make a 2 connecting polyline and adjust the end width of the last polyline..

but if will be using it more often in workflows, what i did is i make a line type out of shape so i can just easily draw the path, change the linetype then that's it! :)

the lines between the >'s are not centered

That is from the font you have associated with Standard style - just adjust the part I highligthed with red in linetype definition to get them in the right location:

*EXIT_LINE,Exit Path line -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > -- > A,1,-.3,[">",STANDARD,S=1.5,R=0.0,X=-.1,Y=[color=red]-.75[/color]],-1.5

I do require arrows many a time in my drawings. I made it simple by using a small lisp. This could be very primitive & many of the lisp Gurus can help make it more better.

Just appload the attached file in autocad & type sar at the command prompt.

Hope this would be helpful

DRAWING ARROWS.lsp

I do require arrows many a time in my drawings. I made it simple by using a small lisp. This could be very primitive & many of the lisp Gurus can help make it more better.

Just appload the attached file in autocad & type sar at the command prompt.

Hope this would be helpful

very nice routine :)

thanks for sharing vivian

@viviancarvalho: I will do some comments on your routine architecture, if you don't mind:

• You ask for insertion point, but the arrow is drawn at the other end, which is also used as reference for rotation; whouldn't be the other way?
  • Since the layer name may be subject of user modification, then he/she must be aware that it is used in more than one place and modify it accordingly; by using a dedicated variable will ensure that he/she don't miss one spot.
  • A good programming practice is to use an underline ("_") in front of commands and options to ensure it will works also on localized AutoCAD.
  • Since you are affecting the default polyline width, this should be restored too, as you did with other system variables.

[color=magenta](setq layerToUse "GRILLE")[/color]          ; The layer name can be changed

(if (null(tblsearch "[color=magenta]_[/color]layer" [color=magenta]layerToUse[/color]))
 (command "[color=magenta]_[/color]layer" "[color=magenta]_[/color]n" [color=magenta]layerToUse[/color] "[color=magenta]_[/color]c" "30" [color=magenta]layerToUse[/color] "")
 (princ))
[color=magenta](setq oldPlWid (getvar "PLINEWID"))[/color]
(command "[color=magenta]_[/color]pline" a2 "[color=magenta]_[/color]w" "0" "0" a4 "[color=magenta]_[/color]w" "75" "0" a5"")
[color=magenta](setvar "PLINEWID" oldPlWid)[/color]
(setq sa(entlast))
(command "[color=magenta]_[/color]change" sa "" "[color=magenta]_[/color]p" "[color=magenta]_[/color]la" [color=magenta]layerToUse[/color] "")

• 2 weeks later...