How to replace dynamic block in a drawing without losing data?!

ibach

I have dynamic block consisting of one hidden dimension line whose value is read in the attribute that shows, and some simple geometry, 3 stretches 2 flips and few visibilities.

I need to replace it with block that has same elements, but a little different geometry, and a different name.

You should be able to use the express tool BlockReplace. Just ensure that the parameters and attributes are named the same - since you might need to run AttSync afterwards.

Or select the blocks, clip to a new blank DWG, rename, then copy back.

1. Make sure your new block is already inserted into the DWG before (i.e. the definition is already there)
  2. Select the old version block(s) in the original DWG.
  3. Press Ctrl+X to cut them out of the DWG.
  4. Make a new blank DWG.
  5. Paste to original Coordinates.
  6. Type Rename, select the block in the rename dialog, rename it to the new blockname, click OK.
  7. Select the blocks again, press Ctrl+C (Copy to clipboard).
  8. Swap back to the original DWG.
  9. Paste to original coordinates - the blocks will come in as if they're the new version.

1. Make sure your new block is already inserted into the DWG before (i.e. the definition is already there)
  2. Select the old version block(s) in the original DWG.
  3. Press Ctrl+X to cut them out of the DWG.
  4. Make a new blank DWG.
  5. Paste to original Coordinates.
  6. Type Rename, select the block in the rename dialog, rename it to the new blockname, click OK.
  7. Select the blocks again, press Ctrl+C (Copy to clipboard).
  8. Swap back to the original DWG.
  9. Paste to original coordinates - the blocks will come in as if they're the new version.

Just be careful when using this method with attributed blocks if the number of attributes or the attribute tag names vary between the two block definitions; an ATTSYNC operation will rectify the problems encountered but will lose some attribute values.

Just be careful when using this method with attributed blocks if the number of attributes or the attribute tag names vary between the two block definitions; an ATTSYNC operation will rectify the problems encountered but will lose some attribute values.
Similar to my first post:

...Just ensure that the parameters and attributes are named the same - since you might need to run AttSync afterwards...
Note, it's worse than only attributes - it's DB params as well. So rather have the new block's attribs & DB-params named the same. Then there's less possibility of losing data. You can later rename the params back in BEdit, and the attributes through BAttMan.

Thank you good people for your answers.

That is how i will do it, and I've known it for a while, but, in this dwg there is so many stupidities as block in block in block, about 200 primary blocks which contain

other blocks of which some contain others. Of course secondary blocks are contained in more than one primary block...

Girls got fired yesterday, missed the deadline twice over, and the boss just passed those files to me to finish the job.

Pity, the girls were ok architects, but computer wizards...

Ill just have to disassemble this file to elementary blocks and assemble it over again.

At least it's gona get smaller.

(superpurge is running for an hour and not finished yet... bah )

Edited by ibach