Autocad 2000 lt

scottowner

Just started using Autocad. Using Bob McFarlane's Beginning Autocad 2000.

Would someone who has this book please clarify the instruction on Page 45 (First instruction) "Grid and snap method".

Does this mean draw a square 50units x 50units ? and if so what is the point.

Thankyou for any observations.

I threw my copy out about 12 years ago.

Perhaps you are being told to use/set both GRID and SNAP. Grid can be toggled on/off via the F7 key while Snap can be toggled on/off via the F9 key. The reason for invoking the command at the command line would be to change the grid and snap intervals or one of the other options. I haven't used either in ages.

Command: GRID

Specify grid spacing(X) or [ON/OFF/Snap/Major/aDaptive/Limits/Follow/Aspect] :

Command: SNAP

Specify snap spacing or [ON/OFF/Aspect/Legacy/Style/Type] :

Why AutoCAD 2000 LT?

scottowner:

I also use AUTOCADLT 2000 and he information ReMark gave you is correct on how set your grid and spacing. I never use it,to restrictive. I find it easier to pick the line command from the toolbar and tell it what I want.

SAMPLE; @32

Hope this is helpfull

I would recommend to anyone still using an older version of LT to seriously consider moving over to the totally FREE 2D CAD program by dessault systemes called DraftSight. It is an AutoCAD-clone that is very similar to AutoCAD. There is even a free 150+ page User's Guide that can be downloaded as well from the same website.

Thanks ReMark:

I will try it when I get home some time next week and let you know what I think of it. I am visiting my youngest daughter and using her laptop.

On

February 21 told you that I would try DRAFTSIGHT when I got home.

Home now -- tried it and did not like it, could not get it to stop jumping as if grid & snap were on.

Yes I did turn them off still the same.

Thanks for the information though.

As you may imagine, there are multiple AutoCAD clones available either at a lesser price or free, so I'd suggest maybe researching the matter.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, so I'd recommend searching in our Forum to boot as well as others, as I'm sure this will/has been discussed.

Thank you PotGuy for the information and yes there is much information on the forum. I have tried several but still keep coming back to what I am use too. Had a 1 year class at ATI in the Dallas/Fort worth area (was mostly board drafting, math, typing and some Autcad at the end. The rest I have picked up on my own. After learning what the people on here know I realize just how little I do know.

Thank you PotGuy for the information and yes there is much information on the forum. I have tried several but still keep coming back to what I am use too. Had a 1 year class at ATI in the Dallas/Fort worth area (was mostly board drafting, math, typing and some Autcad at the end. The rest I have picked up on my own. After learning what the people on here know I realize just how little I do know.

I've only been draughting for about 6 Months now, so I'm not exactly experienced!