*.dwg file opening in AutoCAD Civil instead of AutoCAD - How do I change it?

wsucad

I have AutoCAD Civil 2013 and AutoCAD 2010 installed on my Windows 7 system.

Whenever I double click on a *.dwg file Windows starts up Civil instead of AutoCAD 2010 to open the file. Even if I already have AutoCAD 2010 running.

I went into the Control Panel Associations and attempted to Associate a file type with a specific program. When I pcik the *.dwg file extension the only option that Windows gives me is "AutoCAD Application". I even browsed to the AutoCAD 2010 directory and manually chose acad.exe but Windows just defaulted back to "AutoCAD Application".

Can anyone offer some insights on what I can do to fix this?

Dave

Can anyone offer some insights on what I can do to fix this?

For many moons, the best way of opening a given DWG in a specific platform / version when multiple are installed is to open the desired application, and then to open said DWG.

As I understand it one can also drag said DWG over the desired application icon, but you'd have to experiment to see if that is done in another session or not (I use the above method). If there's a means by which one can tell the AutoCAD DWG Launcher to target a legacy version, over the newest version installed, I am unaware of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40877[/ATTACH]

This is what I believe you are looking for.

Unfortunately this does not work.

I tried this before I posted my question and When I pick the *.dwg file extension the only option that Windows gives me is "AutoCAD Application". I even browsed to the AutoCAD 2010 directory and manually chose acad.exe from the 2010 directory but Windows just defaulted back to "AutoCAD Application" and the files still open in Civil.

scratching my head..............

For many moons, the best way of opening a given DWG in a specific platform / version when multiple are installed is to open the desired application, and then to open said DWG.

As I understand it one can also drag said DWG over the desired application icon, but you'd have to experiment to see if that is done in another session or not (I use the above method). If there's a means by which one can tell the AutoCAD DWG Launcher to target a legacy version, over the newest version installed, I am unaware of it.

I know that is the preferred method but I really want to find a solution where the correct program is associated with the file. I do my best to try and remember doing that but I work in a fast moving high paced area where I am constantly emailed drawing files and my mouse finger is quicker than my brain so I am constantly double clicking and opening files straight from email because I usually just have to print them out. Stupid Civil always fires up and it is like starting a nuclear reactor. It takes forever.

I don't believe you followed the process all the way through thus ending up with an unsatisfactory result. You have the option to associate DWG files with any AutoDesk compatible program that is on your computer. Try again but...

after highlighting the correct entry double click to get the "Open with" dialog box as shown in the previous image.

Thanks, I will look at it again. I must have missed a step. thank you for taking the time to point that out. I appreciate you doing that very much

Take care,

DK

I tried again and there is just not an option presented to me for AutoCAD 2010. I see two AutoCAD Application options. One points to Civil and the other to Map 3D. Here is s screen shot of my choices: http://gyazo.com/4bb4f05a1b7954b06cee54bf82507d96 There is not an option for AutoCAD 2010. I even browsed to the AutoCAD 2010 Directory and double clicked on the acad.exe file and Civil opens up. There must me an issue with my installation or something else.

Thank you for your efforts.

Maybe 2010 was not installed correctly. Did you try forcing Windows to rescan your drive in the attempt to "find" AutoCAD 2010 and list it amongst the installed programs?

I tried again and there is just not an option presented to me for AutoCAD 2010. I see two AutoCAD Application options. One points to Civil and the other to Map 3D. Here is s screen shot of my choices: http://gyazo.com/4bb4f05a1b7954b06cee54bf82507d96 There is not an option for AutoCAD 2010. I even browsed to the AutoCAD 2010 Directory and double clicked on the acad.exe file and Civil opens up. There must me an issue with my installation or something else.

Thank you for your efforts.

Do you have "Vanilla" Autocad installed on the workstation or using the desktop icon that say Civil3D as AutoCAD?

• 1 year later...