How to drive multiple constraints?

mattador04

I want to animate a device with several moving parts. How would you go about driving five different constraints in a chronological order with three of them "overlapping" in time? One is angular, one is linear, one is rotational, etc..

.... in a chronological order with three of them "overlapping" in time? ......

Environments>Studio

or

Environments>Dynamic Simulation (if you have Inventor Professional)

there are tutorials under Help>Learning Tools>Tutorials and Skill Builders

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

We know you make parts one at a time as .ipt's and assemble them in an .iam, but at that point, someone help me clarify this.....

an .ipn would be used to create an animated graphic of the parts coming together as a assembly, and also of the device operating? When do you use an .iam, driving constraints within it, and when do you use an .ipn to show the functionality of your creation?

Ipn is rarely used except for creating static exploded assembly views for drawings (*.idw or *.dwg).

Since Environments>Studio was addded - most people use Studio in Inventor for animation.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out from the tutorials.

Thanks! So all the animating is done within the .iam, by driving constraints individually, or in the environments>dynamic simulation to drive multiple constraints. Does this dynamic simulation allow for the constraints to be driven at different rates and at different times??

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

Inventor is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level (class) of preparation.

Indeed it is. I am new (8 months) to Inventor. I am near completion of an AAS/CAD emphasis degree. In the course of this degree program, I have taken trig, physics, geometry, several AutoCAD classes, LISP, Revit, statics and strength of materials, etc. I certainly am professionally minded. In addition to this, I work full time as a machinist, so I get to have first hand experience with parametric geometry. However, with my Inventor class I took last semester I feel a bit cheated on..... we did alot of part modeling and such, but never really made things move. This is my weak point. Thankyou for the advice. If i continue to experience difficulty I will certainly attach my .iam. Thanks! :D

....In addition to this, I work full time as a machinist....

I worked out on the shop floor for 8 years as a machinist while I worked my way through school (a little slow).

The experience will surely help you understand real world modeling considerations.

I recommend you attach files here for comment on technique before developing any bad habits.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears as if what I was looking for from the beginning was the Inventor Studio. The dynamic simulator takes into account gravity, friction, etc... The studio allows me to animate my model on a timeline, moving different parts concurrently or in sequence, and is relatively simple in comparisson to the dynamic simulator.