SHP, SHX, DBF, PRJ, SBN, SBX-files - greek or what?!

Tiger

Hey folks,

Hope not everyone is off on Easter vacation because I have a problem.

You know how we always grump and moan about not getting the proper SHX-files sent to us with the DWG? Well, I have the other side of the problem.

I got a DWG. And a DWG.xml. And a SHX, a SHP, a DBF, a PRJ, a SBN and a SBX-file. And I have no idea how to use them all, where do I put them so I can display the correct information?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

DBrKraftvGarpebodav.DWG

DBrKraftvGarpebodav.zip

as somebody who knows what he is talking about has now replied I will remove my post in case it causes confusion either now or in the future.

Edited by dbroada

That is the really annoying thing, nothing seems to be missing! There are just points. The layer is called DBrKraftGarpebodav.shp though, that is the only weirdness I can find. The points have no Z-height, which they should have since they are representing wells on a wastewater pipe.

I have tossed the SHX-files in the C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\Fonts - folder with no obvious result.

I am on AutoCAD 2012, with access to Civil 3D if that helps. Also have Win 7.

Here's what the DWG.XML-file says when I open it in Notepad:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!--<!DOCTYPE metadata SYSTEM "http://www.esri.com/metadata/esriprof80.dtd">-->
<metadata xml:lang="sv"><Esri><MetaID>{61494AFB-E073-454A-A799-B5F2EE422EBC}</MetaID><CreaDate>20130322</CreaDate><CreaTime>14050200</CreaTime><SyncOnce>TRUE</SyncOnce><DataProperties><lineage><Process ToolSource="C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcToolbox\Toolboxes\Conversion Tools.tbx\ExportCAD" Date="20130322" Time="140502">ExportCAD H:\SHAPE\DBrKraftvGarpebodav.shp DWG_R2007 H:\DWG\DBrKraftvGarpebodav.DWG Ignore_Filenames_in_Tables Overwrite_Existing_Files #</Process></lineage></DataProperties></Esri></metadata>

I gather that it is done in ArcGIS, and it looks like it's suppose to be exported to DWG.

I have found an option to Import GIS-data in Civil 3D, and I seem to be able to go through all the steps but in the end I get error because Civil3D can't find the database - anyone know where to plunk in the files in Civil 3D?

I got a DWG. And a DWG.xml. And a SHX, a SHP, a DBF, a PRJ, a SBN and a SBX-file. And I have no idea how to use them all, where do I put them so I can display the correct information?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

What you have there is an ESRI Shapefile (all the "DBrKraftvGarpebodav*" files put together).

Put all those files (there are 7 in your ZIP file) into a new empty directory.

In Civil 3D, run the MAPIMPORT command.

It will prompt you to select a file.

Change the file type in the dialog to "ESRI Shapefile"

Select the file named "DBrKraftvGarpebodav.shp" and press OK

Another dialog will appear.

Click OK and the points will be imported -or- if you want to import the data along with the points (as Object Data), then follow these steps before clicking OK

a) Click the box below Data (it will say None)

b) Another dialog will appear, choose Create Object Data, then press OK.

The points will be imported (there are 47 in your files)

[NOTE: Don't confuse the SHP and SHX files in a set of ESRI shapefiles with the SHP and SHX files that a specific to AutoCAD. They have nothing to do with each other.]

Edited by rkmcswain
add note

YES! *punches fist in air* Thanks RK! The points as such didn't seem to have the information I was looking for, but the lines that I got in another file (I have 6 of these sets of files) have the height of the pipes set in object information.

Awesome!

YES! *punches fist in air* Thanks RK! The points as such didn't seem to have the information I was looking for, but the lines that I got in another file (I have 6 of these sets of files) have the height of the pipes set in object information.

Awesome!

Just an FYI, the points do have some object data, but you say it wasn't what you were looking for?

obdata.png

No, the points are probably the center of manhole covers, but there's another file with lines that connect all the points, i.e. representing the waste water pipes, and with your excellent description I was able to get those lines imported and they had the in and out-heights assigned. Now to fgure out what is in and what is out....

• 1 year later...

Hello. For the people who want to import Shapefiles files (as many others formats and data servers) into plain AutoCAD, AutoCAD Map, AutoCAD Architecture, AutoCAD Civil 3D, etc., you can do it using Spatial Manager for AutoCAD. You can download the beta version (free) from: http://www.spatialmanager.com/downloads/ . Hope this helps

Disclaimer: I work for Opencartis SL, developer of Spatial Manager™ products suite