Wall Types/Family/Import and HELP!!!

madriver

This has probably been asked many times, but I haveresearched all day and I am not finding a direct answer about Wall Families. Tobegin I am a total newbie to Revit. I would like to use and or import walltypes using the .rfa extensions from a solitary directory. I do not have ANYexisting projects with these wall types. They are strictly from an importedwall type directory. I can open the .rfa wall types using “open/family” only. Icannot import them through “wall family”. Also, can you create sub directoriesin the wall family? As I would expect this from Autodesk so that I can createwall types in a more organized fashion than just the (3) categories provided.Where are wall types stored? I don't see them in the US Imperial libraries?

Thanks

Bob

I'm just a student and I'm sure these guys will make fun of me. I'm just trying to keep this forum active. To answer the question, try edit type Or load up different componants from autodeskseek.com or revitcity.com Thats about all I know to help, but you probably already know this.

madriver, sorry I don't yet do revit, but Moker's suggestions sound pretty viable.

Moker, we are all students here, and while good natured reparte is appropriate, hazing is not.

Should anybody feel the need to make fun of your desire to help, then such an individual would be the one in need of help.

Welcome to CADTutor, by the way. :)

Unfortunately a wall type is what's known as a System Family. These cannot be exported / imported through a RFA file. They can only form part of a project (RVT) or a template (RTE) file. So you cannot "load" wall types into your project, you can only copy them in.

It would have been nice is system families could also be loaded as other families can, but in adesk's infinite wisdom such is disallowed.

There are 4 ways to "import" wall types (in order of my preference - best to worst):

1. Open both files (projects and/or templates), select some walls drawn using the types you need, copy to clipboard, swap to the other project/template and paste from clipboard. Delete the temporarily copied objects - the types will be left behind.
  2. Create all your wall types inside your template(s) and always start your projects from those templates.
  3. Use the Manage->Transfer Project Standards tool to import and/or overwrite wall types from one RVT/RTE file into another.
  4. Link in the RVT file containing the wall type(s) you want then bind it to import those types as locals, then delete and purge extraneous stuff.

Edit: And "No revit only has 3 groupings for walls", these are non-editable and non-extendable. Again adesk wisdom! The way I get around this problem is to plan the naming of my wall types so they sort into groups which makes sense to me. The last thing you want to do is search a random list of 50+ types each time you want to choose a wall type, with a properly sorted & named list it's much more efficient to find such a specific type. Note I do such wherever I can, even for normal families.