AutoCAD life?

svorgodne

Does anybody know how much lifetime does AutoCAD have still?

Will it be replaced by REVIT soon?

Or is it going to last long.

Thanks

If we had that kind of information do you think we (some of us) would still be on Subscription?

Revit is very specific in what it does. Many users, like myself, need something that is more general purpose like plain AutoCAD.

AutoCAD 2014 just started shipping. You do know that don't you?

You're using AutoCAD 2006. Why? Did you or your company think AutoCAD 2007 was never going to become a reality? Any idea if or when you are going to upgrade? What is the reasoning behind your question?

First of all, thanks...

Have not updated my profile for a while and now I work with Autocad 2013.

the reason of my question is:

I develop a lot of tools through AutoLisp and I think there is still a lot of more things to improve the performance of the offices I coordinate. But what I don´t kow is if it is worth to keep doing that.

Therefore I was looking for a friendly answer which I got already.

Thanks again

You can put your question directly to AutoDesk but I doubt you'll get any kind of a reply.

What type of work does your company do?

the reason of my question is:

I develop a lot of tools through.... But what I don´t kow is if it is worth to keep doing that.

Do you sell these tools that you develop?

If only for in-house use then the question should be, "Does AutoCAD have a future in our offices or will we be switching to Revit soon? Would my time be better spent developing tools for next-generation software?"

In that case you should be asking your co-workers and company leaders.

How many working years do you have in your future?

You might also consider the best way to concentrate your development efforts for purely personal reasons - investing in your future.

Thanks a lot for Ur kind answers.

ReMark:

I have worked as Cad Manager for Coop Himmelblau and Architektur Consult in Vienna

JD Mather:

I think I don't have any problem learning new programs. Nevertheless I have only worked with AutoCAD because that was the need in the places I have worked for but I want to improve. Actually it would be good to keep in touch with somebody that can help me develop tools for other programs as well as in AutoCAD because I have a lot of ideas that can make much more fluent the working flow in CAD

Without knowing the specific nature of your work, and the disciplines in which you focus for production, I can say with reasonable certainty that LISP is not going anywhere in the near future. Nor will AutoCAD go away, as it is the foundation of many of the verticals several industries have come to depend on, such as Civil 3D.

I would add though that while still useful, LISP is not going to see significant advances in functionality given that it is ActiveX COM based, and considering that no real advancements since LayerState-* functions have come out years past.

You'd do well to begin the long ascent to .NET, or even ObjectARX API's given your stated interest in developing multi-platform efficiency initiatives.

HTH

Does anybody know how much lifetime does AutoCAD have still?

Will it be replaced by REVIT soon?

Or is it going to last long.

Thanks

Revit = BIM application for the Architectural, Engineering and Construction industry.

AutoCAD = Computer Aided Design application for any industry.

Revit is far from a replacement for AutoCAD, unless you're in a very specific industry. I don't see AutoCAD going away. Sure, Revit is gaining tons of momentum in the AEC industry because it's a blessing from the CAD Heavens for some of us. And even though you have die-hard AutoCAD users that are still in denial about Revit, I still think AutoCAD is here to stay. At least for awhile. What I do see, is at some point the cost of AutoCAD can't be justified anymore in relation to its non-parametric environment.

I do believe the parametric world is key to the future of the CAD industry.

AutoCAD will be around for a while.

Seems to me the Suites will be the future for many, seems to be the most cost effective. As of now most of the Suites include AutoCAD.