How to make it flat?

mdbdesign

I am in process of learning inventor 2013 and this item I need for my job to make sure it was develop properly.(checked Inventor flat layout versus other one generated by different software). Just try to check if Inventor can do it but I don't know how to get flat layout. File attached. Help JD...

strake.ipt

You mean Flat Layout- I do it as idw and transfer it to 2D model in idw. Correct me if I'm wrong? Thanks.

I think he means Flat Pattern, as in sheet metal. If this is the case, I'd say JD's got it right.

The sheet metal software can't flat pattern this part because the coil wouldn't be made using a typical sheet metal brake or die.

But you can develop a flat part for this design fairly easily. First you should make the profile perpendicular to the ends of the coil. To do this make a plane angled at 45 degrees. Measure the length of the outside curve on the coil. Use this length as the outside cirmuference for your circular flat part.

Also, even though sheet metal will not flatten this part, you need to make sure you use the defined material thickness in your profile for your part thickness, or you will have problems. Your part had a material default of .120 thk, but you profile was .25 thk.

strake.ipt