How to fully constrain this part?

jiggly_jelloo

Sorry for all the newb questions, but I am trying to get a start on my next project and trying to use my pro/e knowledge, but some things just don't quite translate!!

I am trying to constrain a teardrop shaped part to the end of a pipe and I can manage to get it fully constrained. I can mate the end surface and align the axes, but I somehow need to have the part rotated 180 degrees so the 'skinny' end faces the opposite direction. I have tried mating some reference planes, but as soon as I try that I am told it is over constrained even when I delete the existing constraints). Is there another way to all the last constraint I require? Thanks!

teardrop.jpg

@jiggly - since you need to rotate that teardrop part have you tried the rotate feature in assembly?Its under the move component feature, then you can use Rotate component>By Delta X,Y,Z after selecting this you have the option to rotate the part in XYZ axis. Maybe this can help you rotate the part with specified degrees.See picture below.

rotate.jpg

@jiggly - since you need to rotate that teardrop part have you tried the rotate feature in assembly?Its under the move component feature, then you can use Rotate component>By Delta X,Y,Z after selecting this you have the option to rotate the part in XYZ axis. Maybe this can help you rotate the part with specified degrees.See picture below.

I just tried to use rotate feature, but for some reason I doesn't work. I thought that maybe it was because of the constraints that I had on it, but currently the only constraint I have is aligning the axis with the pipe that the teardrop is attached to. So in my mind it should be 'allowed' to rotate around that axis but when I try it, nothing moves. :(

@jiggly - just a thought, maybe you can use "FREE DRAG" rotate on that teardrop part before you make any mates on that specific part?then apply the necessary mates. The reason why SW tells you it is over constrained is that there are mates that was applied and fully defined. If given a chance I'l try to make a short video or some screen shots as I don't have SW on this machine at home.

• 10 months later...