Solid Editing in Viewport

Prospectmp

Using Autocad MEP 2013. I discovered a potentially powerful way to model today by utilizing a large paperspace template with multiple viewports. Rather than creating and editing my model in model space, where managing multiple layers and views becomes very cumbersome (plus, model space gets kind of messy with section views and ordinate dimensions and such), this allows me to keep all of my layers "on" in model space, but to customize each VP with the specific layers I want to see while editing. I LOVE the layer isolation feature, which unclutters the model even more for editing and I just figured out how to configure it for VP isolation only. In conjunction with the newly discovered (I'm a little slow) "maximize viewport" tool, it is just like I am working in model space (right down to the black background, which I prefer). I was ecstatic to unleash the power of editing 3D entities by isolating them in a VP. However, there appears to be a glitch of some kind. I cannot face edit my solids. At first, it thought the entity was on a locked layer, which it wasn't (I could move the solid, just not edit a face), so I unlocked ALL layers. Then it gave me this message when attempting to edit: "No loop through new edges and vertices", which I have no idea what it means. But most of the time it simply won't select the solid for editing. It doesn't matter if I maximize the VP or not. When I go into model space from the MODEL tab and isolate the layer of the object I want to edit, it works just fine. Just not in the VP. Any ideas would be terribly appreciated!

I used this method for years. With multiple Layout tabs in Paperspace, and using the VPMAX and VPMIN tools with layer control applied to each Viewport was fantastic for me. But I only used this in my 2D drafting days.

I have not used this method in quite some time, and never since my AutoCAD MEP days. I always ran with multiple Modelspace Viewports. I had several templates set up, actually. But you can use other control methods to help assist you in isolating objects. There's the Isolate Objects/Hide Object commands. These are now vanilla AutoCAD commands. Furthermore, you have AMEP Specific commands like Edit in Section, which is an extremely powerful tool and quite frankly, one of my prized tools when I used AMEP.

My only recommendation is this: continue using the VPMAX and VPMIN commands with Viewports for most plan view designing. Don't forget there's also Layer States as an alternative, but I still say this method you've discovered is better. When you need to fine tune 3D modeling, use the other commands I've mentioned above. They'll prove to be much more useful in the end.

Or, you can start using Revit MEP instead. ;)

Hope this helps. -Tannar