Creating Code Snippets

Tyke

Creating code snippets is not so straigthforward in Visual Studio as it might be and I always found it a bit of a pain. I stumbled on this little tool that binds into VS and makes creating snippets a doddle. I thought a few people here might also find it useful.

Just hightlight the code that is to form the snippet, right click and choose 'Export as snippet' in the context menu.

Link: http://snippetdesigner.codeplex.com/releases/view/50044

Edited by Tyke
Added link

Express versions of Visual Studio are precluded from installing this, and myriad other extensions... Attempting to do so will result in an error message:

This extension is not installable on any currently installed products

More on Restrictions on installing extensions:

Take a look at this article.

In summary from above article:

• The Express SKUs only support installation of extensions that are classified as Templates (or Template Wizards) and Controls.
  • The Express SKUs do not support tool extensions. Which is anything that doesn't fall into one of the other categories (Template or Control).
  • VSIX files are marked, via the manifest, as to which applications they are compatible and can be installed.

Express versions of Visual Studio are precluded from installing this, and myriad other extensions... Attempting to do so will result in an error message:

This extension is not installable on any currently installed products

I'll stop trying then.... :(

I'll stop trying then.... :(

Tyke was kind to offer this for others consumption.

It's unfortunate, really... I'd love to use this, and other extensions... But cannot.

I actually tried at Tyke's suggestion, got the above error (obviously)... Now, I tried using 2010 Express; wonder if 2012 Express suffers the same benefit? *not sure*

I hope I didn't come over as anything other than disappointed at not being able to use it. I too have only tried using 2010 express, got the error and wondered why.

I have only used

it on VB .NET 2010 Professional and it Works very well. I never saw any restrictions on the Website. Sorry guys for geting your Hopes up.

I hope I didn't come over as anything other than disappointed at not being able to use it. I too have only tried using 2010 express, got the error and wondered why.

I have only used

it on VB .NET 2010 Professional and it Works very well. I never saw any restrictions on the Website. Sorry guys for geting your Hopes up.

No worries; it's just one of those things about using Express versions... They make it so it's harder to work with Express intentionally, so you'll upgrade to Professional version.

I won't even try to convince management to authorize the purchase of Visual Studio Professional for work (not sure that I possess sufficient motivation to work here much longer anyways, but that's a separate topic), and I do not have the funds available to do so at home presently either *kicks dirt*... Express 2010, and 2012 will have to suffice for now. :)

(not sure that I possess sufficient motivation to work here much longer anyways, but that's a separate topic),
I clearly didn't read your name change announcement well enough. I thought you were self employed now.

Sorry for the hijack, Tyke. :(

I clearly didn't read your name change announcement well enough. I thought you were self employed now.

No Sir... Perhaps I was unclear... I am still very much employed (day job), and that new initiative is entirely extracurricular (nights and weekends), as a side venture.

... From your words to God's ears. :beer: