Branch Conenection Development

derek wright

Hi All

I am looking for a little advice please, I usually only use AutoCAD for drawing weld joint destils for WPS etc. but have been asked to provide a template to cut a hole and end profile out of a vesel for a nozzle (see attached sketch) I need to do the development drawing which can be printed 1.1 to give the installation guys the templates. Any help / drawings / advice would be greatly appreciated.

ThanksHole Cut Out Development.jpg

Why would any good weld shop require a development to locate the hole shown above in the wall of a tank? Other than how high up the wall of the tank you want the hole to be haven't you given them most of the information they need? I suppose you could give them the length of arc from the centerline of the tank to the center of the hole which I imagine would be greater than 258 but less than 259.

Edited by ReMark

I would use the offset command to locate where the location of the hole to be cut. Offset your centerline up 258 units the offset that 42 units on both sides for the ext of the nozzle. You can aslo offset a line to the right 1900 units from the center of the 1750 arc to get the outside edge.

I would assume the OP did that when he created the drawing. What I can't understand is why a development would be required for the fab shop. This is not an atypical type of nozzle on a tank. Fab shops do this type of connection all the time.

I would assume the OP did that when he created the drawing. What I can't understand is why a development would be required for the fab shop. This is not an atypical type of nozzle on a tank. Fab shops do this type of connection all the time.

You maybe correct, and the OP is wanting a template to place on the outside of the tank, like a stencil, to show where the hole goes. Why he may need it may be cause the job was bidded out to the lowest bidder, the shop that operates out of the owners back yard.

You maybe correct, and the OP is wanting a template to place on the outside of the tank, like a stencil, to show where the hole goes. Why he may need it may be cause the job was bidded out to the lowest bidder, the shop that operates out of the owners back yard.

You all seem to have missed thje point of what I need, it is for a field installtion NOT a shop job and it is to make a template of the eliptical hole to be cut. I thought the idea of the forum was for people to give advice to questions asked rather than discuss the merrits of peoples capability.

It is to allow us to prepare templates prior to work being done during a time critical plant shut down where time can be saved by having pre made templates just to place on the correct location marks then mark round the template and cut the hole. The actual location point is simple to mark.

They don't need a stencil. A cloth tape and a stick of soapstone would work just as easily.

I agree. As long as the distance from one end of the tank is shown or states to be center of the tank.

See where it says "Offset from vessel centerline"? Assuming they can locate the vessel centerline they could strike off the length of arc which by my calculation is roughly 258.94.

You all seem to have missed thje point of what I need, it is for a field installtion NOT a shop job and it is to make a template of the eliptical hole to be cut. I thought the idea of the forum was for people to give advice to questions asked rather than discuss the merrits of peoples capability.

It is to allow us to prepare templates prior to work being done during a time critical plant shut down where time can be saved by having pre made templates just to place on the correct location marks then mark round the template and cut the hole. The actual location point is simple to mark.

If you're printing it on paper then wrapping it around the tank wouldn't it be drawn as a true circle? When its wrapped around it looks like an ellipsis.