Editable Mesh vs Editable Poly

tzframpton

What is the main differences? In all the tutorials, one of these steps seems to be required before you advance to any edits. Is there any information out there that gives an explanation on the main differences, and possibly when to use one or the other?

Thanks in advance! 8)

Editable poly gives you the ability to use ALL of Max's modeling tools, while with editable mesh, you only have a limited number of tools available. Editable mesh is really a throwback to the early days of Studio Max when mesh modeling was how work was done. But now it's all poly modeling with editable poly. The tutorials that specify editable mesh are typically ones that were written back before editable poly.

I never work in editable mesh. I always work in editable poly.

• 2 months later...

but after you're done with your object which is prolly an editable poly for good, you'd better change it then to an editable mesh ! it makes the object lighter to work with in bigger projects, so when you import it into a bigger project, it's performance is higher. imagine when you have hundreds of objects imported. in mesh or editable poly ! mesh gives faster performance !!!!

• 1 month later...

if you run a connect on the side where you lost the seg then you max will put a seg back there

go to the poly edges select one side of the ship hold down the control and select the other side then hit the connect button box then you can the number of segs you want too

I couldn't understand what this had to do with anything, since nobody was asking about lost segments on the side of their ship. So I did a little digging and found that this entire reply was copied and pasted from the Digital Tutors forum, in response to someone elses question. Maybe in the future anthonyc12 could answer questions in his own words instead of grabbing entire quotes from someone else on another forum and then pasting them here as if they were his own words. Or at least give credit to the person he took the quote from.

By the way, here's the reply from the Digital Tutors forum. Check post #2: http://www.digitaltutors.com/forum/showthread.php?26387-Editable-mesh-Editable-Poly