Slice/trim? Solid or surface?

byk3bep

I am trying to "trim" a curved object against another curved objects surface. The attached picture. Wanna get rid of the piece of the smaller arc that is under the bigger one.

svodovi.jpg

And another q:

Should I be using surfaces or solids for this model? (and why) :)

Thx a lot for your help and time

Option 1: You can trim that piece away using an arc that is extruded in the form of a surface. Command: SLICE. Option: SURFACE.

Option 2: Make a copy of the larger object. Subtract the original large object from the smaller one. You'll be left with what appears to be three separate objects but in fact they are still one entity. Use the SEPARATE command to break them up. Erase the middle object. Move the duplicate larger object back into its original position.

Solid or surface? Depends on what you are drawing.

Ahm... :?

That is what I am having trouble with. Don't know how to get the necessary surface for the slice :unsure:

The 2 objects are created buy extruding their cross sections. Solids.

There are no surfaces to select when prompted for the cutting plane/surface...

I am new, probably the most obvious answer is what I'm looking for.

SeparateWays.jpg

Option two kind of looks like this. After using the SEPARATE command you can erase the reddish colored section of the smaller object.

Note that TRIMSPLIT is not a standard AutoCAD command and is only available via the AutoCAD Exchange Apps. BTW...there is a cost associated with it of $3 U.S. payable via credit card.

THX for all your help :)

I decided to go with interfere=>separate combination, since i couldn't figure the other ones out :shock: but it wont stop me from trying.

I would use INTERFERE in this instance, although this is a perfect application for the TRIMSPLIT addon.

Interfere --> http://www.screencast.com/t/L9g5m6rAXKU

TRIMSPLIT --> http://www.cadtutor.net/forum/showthread.php?79807-Custom-Solid-modeling-tool

There is another video showing both commands included in TRIMSPLIT, STRIM and SSPLIT:

I believe they can help. Even if it could cost three bucks ;)

[url=

][/url]

The OP is using 2011, and the Exchange App only installs on 2012 and newer. Is there a solution to get TRIMSPLIT functions into 2011? (Yes, I have the old version of TRIMSPLIT in 2011, just thought it better to have the author weigh in since it went public)

Assuming those are two separate pieces: Draw a circle the diameter of the larger half shell, extrude, subtract. done.

If they are one then draw the circle to the inside diameter, extrude and subtract.

3d subtract.PNG

If they are one then draw the circle to the inside diameter, extrude and subtract.

If they are one, CTRL click on the interior piece and press the Delete key.

The OP is using 2011, and the Exchange App only installs on 2012 and newer. Is there a solution to get TRIMSPLIT functions into 2011? (Yes, I have the old version of TRIMSPLIT in 2011, just thought it better to have the author weigh in since it went public)

The Autodesk Exchange policy is not supporting the older releases. However, thie App runs on old versions, I have tried it in Release 2010 with no problems, even installing the Plug-ins Ribbon.

But it must be done manually as you know. After installing the app you must use APPLOAD and search for the TRIMSPLIT.fas file in

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\Reinaldo N Togores TRIMSPLIT.bundle\Contents\Windows\

and add it to the Startup Suite.

To add the Ribbon you can use the CUILOAD command searching for the STRIMSPLIT.cuix file in the bundle's Resources folder.

These are aids that can streamline your modeling workflow, but of course you can do without them, for example when subtracting from a solid if you have no need to keep the subtracting solid.

The solids TRIM and SPLIT commands are a logical addition to the current boolean commands (UNION, SUBTRACT, INTERSECT). I have no doubt they will be added to the next AutoCAD release. But why wait?:)