Does the "Limits" mean the dimension that displays in the work screen?

fadotian

Hi,

I set a "limits" in my drawing(command "limits"-- "lower left corner is 0,0" --- upper right corner " is set as 20, 20--enter)

But then I moved my mouse horizontally and vertically on the screen, and found that the coordinate value at the bottom was from -25 on the left to 18 on the right, and from 0 at the bottom to 15 at the top. I am confused about what on earth does that limit? should it be 20 in length and 20 in width?

Thank you for your reply!

I am confused about what on earth does that limit?

It adjusts the grid size to the size you specify. In my 25+ years of using AutoCAD, I have never needed the 'limits' command.

Type Limits and then Off

this is a left over command from the last century when computers were so slow that you could get a cup of coffee while the computer was regenerating a zoom.

Limits was a way to speed up the process of regeneration (changing size or pan of the screen) by limiting how much was calculated.

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Limits? We don't need no stinkin' limits, we are the federales!

Don't waste another second thinking about limits, turn them off,

as suggested by JD, and never look back.

So is the limits command the reason why you have to regen occasionally to pan across a whole drawing?
T'other way round. regen "was" the reason for limits. Now, one's weenie graphics card might be the reason for regen choke-up.

There is a variable that can be used along with limits that actually confines your drawing area to your limits. A great way to frustrate someone that puts all kinds of extra stuff in there files.

There is a variable that can be used along with limits that actually confines your drawing area to your limits. A great way to frustrate someone that puts all kinds of extra stuff in there files.

Is this the one you were thinking of?

LIMITS CHECK.jpg

Now you've done it. You've let the entire world know about it.

Sorry Rob, I didn't recognize the secret sign, I thought you had forgotten it! :beer: