Seeing geometry below when in shaded with edges mode

jiggly_jelloo

When I am in shaded with edges mode sometimes I can see the geometry below the 'top' part. For example I have a work bench with a 26ga galvanized top on it. I can see the joints in the plywood bench top below the galvanized top. Any ideas how I can get rid of this? It appears that my galvanized top has several extra joints in it. The Single lines are the joints in the plywood beneath and should not be showing.

Thanks

workbench.jpg

It happens to me too when a solid is very "thin" compared to the zoom level. There's a bunch of VS (visual styles) variables, but I haven't really looked into which may control this.

Most likely it is a problem related to your graphics card/driver.

Are you up-to-date on the latest driver?

Can you attach the sldasm here to see if others can reproduce with your dataset (include version of SWx information).

I use both ACAD and SW but I can only display one program in my profile. So this particular issue is with SW so I posted in the SW forum.

I have called out technical support with our reseller and they are looking at it. My driver is out of date so I will have to get IT to install the newer one and see if that corrects the issue.

Thanks

I recieved a reply back from the technical support people. Apparently it is a known issue with Solidworks as documented by SPR 390041. Hopefully they find a fix for it at somepoint as the only way you can get around it is to thicken your part, and that makes it difficult to dimension for manufacture without having to go in and override the dimension....which is not a very good practice.

Is that a bench top with plywood directly underneath and then another shelf way below that?

I assume it is not the shelf below that is bleeding through.

You might try adding a tiny gap offset in the mate of the sheet metal to the plywood. A very small gap won't show up in the drawings and in reality it is impossible (without a press and adhesive) to obtain perfect zero gap between the parts anyhow (and we cannot manufacture perfectly flat planar geometry) so this fudge gap is more realistic than a fudge. I have found that in some cases not having thin parts face-to-face with small gap can eliminate bleed (I am usually only concerned if creating a Render, otherwise I simply ignore).

Is that a bench top with plywood directly underneath and then another shelf way below that?

I assume it is not the shelf below that is bleeding through.

You might try adding a tiny gap offset in the mate of the sheet metal to the plywood. A very small gap won't show up in the drawings and in reality it is impossible (without a press and adhesive) to obtain perfect zero gap between the parts anyhow (and we cannot manufacture perfectly flat planar geometry) so this fudge gap is more realistic than a fudge. I have found that in some cases not having thin parts face-to-face with small gap can eliminate bleed (I am usually only concerned if creating a Render, otherwise I simply ignore).

Yes, that is exactly what it is. The plywood joints just happen to line up on both levels.

I will try the gap and see if I have any luck.