How to make topographic map from survey data?

banana1234

I would like to try to make topographic map from survey data, however my data is in excel format. Can i import the data in autocad? I'm using autoCAD 2014 trial.

thanks!

There is no simple solution. You will have to find out how to plot out the survey points, and see what you need to draw up the survey, or pay lots of money for an existing survey package.

Excel format is no hindrance, you can always save it in .csv format if needed.

There is no simple solution. You will have to find out how to plot out the survey points, and see what you need to draw up the survey, or pay lots of money for an existing survey package.

Excel format is no hindrance, you can always save it in .csv format if needed.

sorry, i don't understand what is "existing survey package"?

Beside, i have the survey data (X,Y,Z), can't plot out the point on AUTOCAD?

sorry, i don't understand what is "existing survey package"?

Beside, i have the survey data (X,Y,Z), can't plot out the point on AUTOCAD?

As you have found out, ordinary AutoCAD has no built in functions to import survey data. It is just a CAD programme. You can input the points by typing in the coordinates one by one.

However, by means of lisp and combining functions, it is possible to plot points at a push of a button or two. You can either re-invent the wheel by finding out for yourself how to do it, or you can buy an "existing survey package", where someone has put together useful tools to do what you want, and charges plenty of dollars.

As you have found out, ordinary AutoCAD has no built in functions to import survey data. It is just a CAD programme. You can input the points by typing in the coordinates one by one.

However, by means of lisp and combining functions, it is possible to plot points at a push of a button or two. You can either re-invent the wheel by finding out for yourself how to do it, or you can buy an "existing survey package", where someone has put together useful tools to do what you want, and charges plenty of dollars.

thanks for your explanation! i have a clear picture now!

If you want to mesh and contour the data then AutoCad is not the tool for the job. AutoCad Civil 3D or a similar survey/civil software package will be required.

Civil 3D is notoriously un-user friendly, so if you get the package both as a trial or full, please ask!

We'll help the best we can!

Civil 3D is notoriously un-user friendly

You can say that again! I know a few different civil design packages and Civil 3D is hands down easily the hardest one to learn; it is at the point now where we (not in America where I know it is more popular) cannot hire people who know it or want to learn it and will soon be migrating back to alternative design software that we left a few years ago (to move to Civil 3D).

You can say that again! I know a few different civil design packages and Civil 3D is hands down easily the hardest one to learn;

Just to add to that, I would say features like Points, Alignments, and Surfaces are fairly easy to master, even more so if you have Land Desktop experience.

As you get into things like cross sections, parcels, and corridors, the complexity increases.

But even then, I think the thing most people (and firms) struggle with in C3D is object and label styles. Anyone w/o experience can create a point, alignment, or surface with almost no instruction - but getting it to look the way you want it to look can take 10X longer if you don't have your styles pre-configured and ready to use.

Just to add to that, I would say features like Points, Alignments, and Surfaces are fairly easy to master, even more so if you have Land Desktop experience.

As you get into things like cross sections, parcels, and corridors, the complexity increases.

But even then, I think the thing most people (and firms) struggle with in C3D is object and label styles. Anyone w/o experience can create a point, alignment, or surface with almost no instruction - but getting it to look the way you want it to look can take 10X longer if you don't have your styles pre-configured and ready to use.

I agree. The basics of AutoCad Civil 3D are fairly simple for anyone who comes from a background of AutoCad and any other civil design software. However the more complicated features are somewhat harder I would say. Cross sections and assemblies are much harder than they need to be.

We don't use parcels as we don't find them flexible enough. Although this (commonly called 'lots') is the same in other civil design packages, not just Civil 3D. Stormwater analysis in Civil 3D is also poor in my opinion.

Road design works fine although there are certainly easier packages to use out there. I am a fan of the dynamics of Civil 3D however in which it is ahead of some other packages. I do like Civil 3D for its data management and organisation as well which most other packages don't have.

In the end I would say that Civil 3d is a decent enough package although for power users of other civil design software packages they may find it lacking in some regards and I would recommend other software over it.