Exporting part to DXF file for CNC machining?

jc_smith

Hello,

I'm very new to the 3D CAD world and am having a bit of troubles with something. My favorite hobby is Car Audio, and in particular I enjoy building custom subwoofers. It has now progressed to the point to where I have designed a custom subwoofer motor using FEMM and started to learn Solid Works to start drawing out the motor to have a local machinist build it for me.

This is where I'm running into issues. My local machinist only uses DXF files for his CNC machine, and from what I have read, Solid Works only allows you to export 2D DXF files. I would imagine I would need to export a 3D DXF file so that the machinist would have the x, y, and z measurements of my parts file for his cnc machine to accurately make.

Would this be correct? Does it need to be a 3D DXF files, or can I provide all the needed dimensions with a 2D DXF file? If I can do it with 2D DXF files, how do I do this in Solid Works? Below are some images of one of the parts to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Subwoofer_A_BottomPlate.jpg

Subwoofer_A_BottomPlate2.jpg