Osnap to a block

Chilidawg

is it possible to create a block so that the base point is the only snap point on the block?

In other words supose I have a block of a simple rectangle with the base point in the center.

If I try to snap to the block, I will be able to snap to all the corners, but not the base point. I know that i can put a point at the base point, but can I turn off the snap to the corners (just for the block) in other words, have an object that is unsnapable to without turning the snap mode off.

AFAIK, it is not possible. Of course, a POINT at the basepoint would be selected via NODe rather than INSert. If INSert is one of your running osnaps, then you should be able to hover near the insertion point and snap to it, but an explicit INSert would be more reliable and versatile, as you could grab it from anywhere on the block.

Ok, my problem is that i am to lazy to change my osnap options for a given set of actions. :)

If I have a block set up to indicate sample locations, and I need to snap dimensions to it, I want to hit the right point with out a lot of zooming in and out.

just type 'ins' when autocad wants you to make the selection, it's quickish and means only the insertion point will be highlighted

I think that what you are describing can be solved by using the "temporary Osnaps"

You can access these by either typing in the first 3 letters of the osnap or by using the Shift + Right click menu (shown below)

Note: a command that requires a point to be picked needs to be started before you can access the temporary osnap menu.

The temporary osnap is ehlpful in that it will only look for the specified osnap for that one selection.

An example similar to what you describe of drawing a line from one block's insertion point to another block's insertion point would be as follows:

• LINE
  • INS select a block (places first point of line)
  • Shift + Right Click > select the next block (places second point of line)
  • to end command

This example would show both the command line version and the "Shift + Right Click" version...

Hope that helps

~Greg

Below are 2 posts that I have done on using Temporary OSNAPs

http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/temporary-osnap-overrides-including-3d-osnaps/

http://autocadtips.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/snap-overrides-temporary-osnaps/

Shift Right Click Menu.jpg

Ok, my problem is that i am to lazy to change my osnap options for a given set of actions. :)

If I have a block set up to indicate sample locations, and I need to snap dimensions to it, I want to hit the right point with out a lot of zooming in and out.

Given this level of torpidity, I'm surprised you even bothered to take the time to type the question!;) I can't imagine such a person typing INS each time or even clicking a couple of times to get it.:shock: Rather, in this case, since you mentioned the POINT idea as though NODe is one of your running osnaps, I'd say you should embed said POINT in your block and use it that way. You can always define it to be hidable if needed.:) For me, if it were so important to use, then I'd add INSert to the running osnaps permanently. In fact, it works for me, as there isn't a lot of interference from competing blocks. Text may be a different story, though.

If you use this a lot, but don't want to have INSert as a permanent running osnap, then you might make a little custom routine to toggle the osnaps back and forth. There are certain things I use like that. I apply shortcuts to them to make them very quick. But I use the keyboard as well as the mouse for input. Not everyone does that where I'm from.