"progress bar" in command line

abraxus

this is basically what i want to do, just a simple progress bar in the command line while i process thousands of items in a selection set so the user will know the program is busy and not frozen

the problem is that none of the dots actually show up until the vba code is done doing what it's doing, defeating the purpose of the code in the first place

is there some way to do this?

ThisDrawing.Utility.Prompt "Working."

For Each AENT In sset
     ' other code goes here '
     ThisDrawing.Utility.Prompt "."
 Next AENT

i tried doevents and that didnt work - so i gave up on using the command line to show progress and just created a non-modal userform that popped up with the progress bar (a caption inside of a frame control that updated the width based on a percentage variable) and that seemed to be a much better solution anyways

• 3 weeks later...
how do i delete my own posts?
You don't have to, nor should you. Your problem and solution, however simple may help someone else out.

As an aside, I once wrote a progress bar sub-routine for a Unix based mainframe business application. It was a batch process imbedded within a GUI screen for a medical insurance company physician directory database. The program built doctor lists filtered by user input parameters from the mainframe database, and wrote files to be accessible over the internet. The progress bar doubled the execution time of the operation being done by the program, so my end-user had me take it out. I was doing probably pretty much the same basic logic that you used but I had to do the counting and calculations in real time. All that math took too much real time. It makes one wonder how much faster Windows Updates would run without that progress bar.:lol: My final solution was also pretty much the same as yours. I displayed a message that the system was busy in a highlited box, until the updates were done. And people wonder why I didn't go back to programming after my job got downsized in 2005.;)

people still use unix?
That was in 2005. That's the other reason I haven't written any code since then. There were only two unix (PICK Basic, UniData, & UniVerse) systems in the MD, VA, & DC area then. One went completely LAN based in 2003, the other, where I worked was bought out by United Health Care in 2005. I was laid off while I was on vacation in The Outer Banks, N.C. in a beach house in Avon for my birthday. I don't miss it much. I was a draftsman before I was a programmer, now I am a draftsman again.

A progress bar code is readily available for both VBA & Lisp but you want the topic deleted so I guess I don't need to post any code.

Just as an aside, a progress bar is not available in VB7 which is the 64-bit VBA engine used in AutoCAD 2014 and its verticals. The progress bar is a VB6 control that is no longer supported. In .NET there is no problem, the progress bar there works on all versions of AutoCAD.

I also use a form with a text box whose width changes coupled to a variable as a progress bar. It works well and does not slow anything down.

this is not a chat topic

that's why i wanted to delete it

Come to think of it, nothing would make me happier. Go to My Profile, top left, find all posts, top right, click post heading, Click on the Edit Post button, click on the Delete button.

• 9 months later...
Don't be rude 25 posts v's 1934

A progress bar code is readily available for both VBA & Lisp but you want the topic deleted so I guess I don't need to post any code.

i would like some codes about bar code if you have, thanks in advance.