unloading geometry in rendering - taking 2 days !

niegrau

Hi there,

I've modeled my first project and I was wondering how it'd look like so I rendered with a normal vray setup. no excessive load on vray rendering parameters but for the task of unloading geometry, my laptop took 2 entire days ! this is insane. what could be wrong ? or this is normal ?

Core i5

Ram 4 GB

1 GB Graphic

here's a picture of my project

3931257413_b.jpgView Screen Capture

You're rendering on a laptop with a Core i5 processor and 4GB RAM. Expect loooooooooooooooooong render times.

Are you using displacement in any of your materials? If so, try turning it off and see if your render time improves.

I found the problem, I'd already used vRay Sun and vRay Lights on windows, and had my GI parameters set up with Irradiance map (primary bounces) and Brute Force (secondary bounces). I realized to to have these enabled, ALL THE GEOMETRIES need calculations for GI Lighting that's why it took such a long time. what shocked me for this calculation wasn't just the long time but the fact that my CPU Usage for this processing was only 23-25% and memory only 70-80% taken during hours of unloading geometries. I have to run further tests to find out if this stage is not completely relative to the system configuration or else.

is it the same for you to expect pretty much longer render time in case of using GI with primary set to Irradiance and 2ndry, Brute Force !?

You're rendering on a laptop with a Core i5 processor and 4GB RAM. Expect loooooooooooooooooong render times.

Are you using displacement in any of your materials? If so, try turning it off and see if your render time improves.

• 10 months later...

I finally figured it out for me... I had a rug with lots of modifiers(turbo smooth uv mapping, displacement, and another I can't remember.. and it wouldn't let me covert it to editable poly to get rid of them. So I put an EDIT POLY modifier on it, selected the box tool, and selected it all and (holding SHIFT) moved and cloned (to object) the whole lot. It kept all the parameters and maps, and rendered in about 30 minutes instead of 21 hrs +

:lol:

ACTUALLY. I did a bit more testing and realised, when I scaled the rug up with all the mods (vray displacement, turbosmooth, etc, ), the unloading geometry started... So I cloned the rug (in edit poly) then scaled it.., then re applied all the modifiers from scratch. No more unloading geometry.