3D faces or surface to 3D solid model

nic6911

Hi.

I don't know if this is actually a question for the newbee section, but I'll give it a try here.

I have a model of a boat from some database. It's build from 3D faces but I would like to make it a 3D solid with a thickness of 3mm.

I can convert the faces into a surface, but i can't seem to get any of the two models into a 3D solid. I have tried thicken, convtosolid and a lot of other options without luck.

I was wondering if I could make two surfaces, one smaller than the other, place them ontop of eachother and create solid between them?

But I can't seem to find any info on this.

I know this might be a dumb way to draw this boat, but the idea was that I could just convert the model that already exists rather than starting all over (That would take me a lot of hours).

Thanks in advance

(The files are approx 30kb to big for upload, so I can't share them)

If you have a watertight envelope then surfsculpt might work.

But my guess is that starting over from scratch would be faster than trying to work with flawed data.

try and reduce the filesize then post it here....sounds an interesting project

30k isn't much to lose - have you purged and re-saved?

some careful exploding may reveal some useful geometry to work with if the existing isn't good. (after you've posted it here)

So far I have made it into a surface, placed it in a solid block and sliced the block with my surface. This gives me a solid piece, where I can use presspull to make a rectangular hole in the middle. Actually that seems to bee a good solution after all.

I use LT so I can't do anything with your drawing, but if you have managed to get the solid shape can't you use the SHELL command to create the 3mm thick solid that you wanted