How to make an existing block annotative

I have a dynamic block that I created with a bunch of visibility, rotate and stretch parameters and actions. When I created said block, I meant to make it annotative but forgot about it during the initial block definition. Is there a way that I can make the block annotative now, or do I have to go back and re make the block all over again?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sbeth85

• RobDraw

• jarr3tt88

• adrath

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just open it up in Block Editor. Without anything being selected, look at the Properties Palette and under "Annotative" select "Yes", then save and exit out of BEDIT mode.

Done and done. :)

• 4 months later...

I have a very similar issue. I have attached the block with more blocks nested inside it. I make each block annotative and when i insert block in model space and view it through vp in ps, it doesn't seem to be the appropriate scale whatsoever.

Can someone enlighten me as to why i'm having this issue and a possible solution?

Dynamic Weld Symbols.DWG

• 5 months later...

So I have a separate library of blocks I've created.

When I do BEdit of a block once it's in my drawing, it seems like it only affects the block locally, right? Like it doesn't affect the master block in the library. Is that correct?

I ask because basically my master block is just normal text that I then insert as a block. I'm trying to make it annotative, but as opposed to when I do BEdit from within the drawing, when I try to alter the master block itself, an annotative option isn't available to click.

(I made my text non-annotative so that once inserted the block could rescale).

Inserted blocks are defined locally in the drawing once inserted and they have no association with the "master" block. The only thing they have in common is the block name which can be used to redefine blocks manually, but there's no automatic process. If you need that type of functionality, perhaps look into external references (xref)

nestly- thank you.

So, how do I make one of my "master" blocks annotative if it's not really a block in and of itself (it's just a normal DWG file)?

The drawing isn't annotative, if you want to keep it in a separate file, I would suggest just making it a block in there and making it annotative.

jarr- I'm sorry, I didn't understand you... I want a block within my library that every time I insert it into a drawing, it'll automatically be annotative. How do I accomplish this?

jarr- I'm sorry, I didn't understand you... I want a block within my library that every time I insert it into a drawing, it'll automatically be annotative. How do I accomplish this?

Oh, Sorry thought you knew how to make it annotative. Well if its not a block, you just select all the objects, then use the make block command. On the right side of the block dialogue, there is an option to make it annotative. If the block is already annotative, then you need to go into the block editor and not select anything. Then open the properties dialogue box. Near the bottom there is a category that says block, then a selection for annotative. Change the 'no' to 'yes' Save and exit the block.

You have to be careful with converting existing blocks to annotative. Sometimes you have to scale them down and run an ATTSYNC command if there are attributes. If there is text in blocks, I would recommend always making it an attribute.

From within the block editor, you can "save as" back to the master, a block that has been modified locally. (Kinda sounds like the way Yoda would explain it.)

Jarr- thank you for the explanation!

Why do you think text should always be an attribute?

I ask because I made a title block, but sometimes there's too much text for the space, so I've been exploding the block once I insert it and then messing around with it until it fits. Is that bad?

Rob Draw- you might sound like yoda, but you make sense! Thank you!

Text is fine to use in a block. Attributes are for when you want the ability to change value of the text without exploding or creating a new block.

As to your title block, I'm assuming that "text" is an attribute that sometimes doesn't work because you need too many characters. Exploding a block with attributes is bad, use the burst command. Personally, I would leave the block alone, make the attribute that you need to adjust blank, then add a separate text for that space.

BURST is an unknown command in my version, AutoCAD 2014. What is it exactly?

I didn't understand what you meant about leaving the attribute blank... you basically mean keep the whole title block as a block, and then after I insert it into a drawing, them going and manually making a text box and typing in what I want? (Otherwise I don't understand... why would I make an attribute and then leave it blank?)

BURST is an unknown command in my version, AutoCAD 2014. What is it exactly?

It shouldn't be unknown. Do you have Express Tools loaded? (I'm not even sure it is an Express Tool anymore.)

It's like explode but it treats attributes differently. It changes them to text and maintains the value that was input.

I didn't understand what you meant about leaving the attribute blank... you basically mean keep the whole title block as a block, and then after I insert it into a drawing, them going and manually making a text box and typing in what I want? (Otherwise I don't understand... why would I make an attribute and then leave it blank?)

Exploding a block with attributes is not a good thing. The attributes do not change to text. Attributes want to be associated with a block. I've seen situations where having just one unassociated attribute caused major issues.

Burst.png

Text is fine to use in a block.

What you say is correct, but my preference for attributes is for the ability to mirror blocks. If you have text in a block, it won't mirror, it will be backwards or upside down. If you mirror with attributes, then it will read correctly.

Jarr- thank you for the explanation!

Why do you think text should always be an attribute?

I ask because I made a title block, but sometimes there's too much text for the space, so I've been exploding the block once I insert it and then messing around with it until it fits. Is that bad?

You're welcome! See above reply.

As for title blocks, I would recommend using two or three attributes for lines, thats what my title block has, works great! Three lines is usually plenty.

What you say is correct, but my preference for attributes is for the ability to mirror blocks. If you have text in a block, it won't mirror, it will be backwards or upside down. If you mirror with attributes, then it will read correctly.

In the context of this thread, (We are talking about a title block.) there is not a need to mirror (or rotate) so I did not consider that aspect of it but you are correct in what you say.