Exploding a Block in VBA

abraxus

I have the following code which is simple, and works just fine when a polyline is selected, but when a block reference is selected, the explode method returns no objects at all

The documentation says that Explode should work on blocks, so I do not understand what I am overlooking here

I have attached a dwg with the block i'm trying to process, and it also has a random polyline - see what happens when you select the block - the block DOES actually explode, but still no return objects

Sub test()
 Dim f1 As AcadEntity
 Dim entNewBlock As AcadEntity
 Dim basePnt As Variant
 Dim entExplodedItems As Variant

ThisDrawing.Utility.GetEntity f1, basePnt, "Select an object"

' make a copy of the block
 Set entNewBlock = f1.Copy
 ' explode the block - returns an array of objects that were created from the block
 ' this should return 12 line objects
 entExplodedItems = entNewBlock.Explode
 If UBound(entExplodedItems) = -1 Then
   MsgBox "Explode returned no objects"
   Exit Sub
 Else
   MsgBox "Explode returned " & UBound(entExplodedItems) & " items"
 End If

End Sub

explode-test.dwg

Apparently Autodesk has not fully implemented exploding Non Uniformly Scaled blocks in AutoCAD via VBA.

I notice that the block has lines with Thickness: Is this still related to detecting collisions?

I see... i didnt test it with a non-uniformly-scaled block, but that might explain it

i noticed some other things about the block too (i do not have control over the block definition, it has to stay the way that it is) but instead of "4 simple lines" there are 4 lines on top of one another for each of the four lines... ugh... whoever setup that block didnt pay very close attention to detail

i did, however find an alternate way of doing what i wanted to do, but it only works because the block definition SHOULD be 4 simple lines all at 90 degrees

since it's just a basic rectangle, defined by a rotation value and the X and Y scale factors, i decided to just start at the insertion point, and draw the polyline based on polar coordinates and the XY scale factors, then use that polyline instead of the block definition to pass to the IntersectWith method (yes, this is related to the collision topic i also created)

one of the lines having thickness is very important in other aspects that arent related to my project, and that cannot be changed either

so in short, i guess consider this topic closed, since (as you say) there is no solution other than just recreating it manually using the other given information

for anyone curious, this is my solution which worked in my case only

Public Function GetPolyFixture(f1 As AcadBlockReference) As AcadPolyline
 Dim entPolyline As AcadPolyline
 Dim pt2 As Variant
 Dim pt3 As Variant
 Dim pt4 As Variant
 Dim dLineArray(11) As Double
 Const Radians90 = 1.570796325

' get the corner points
 pt2 = ThisDrawing.Utility.PolarPoint(f1.InsertionPoint, f1.Rotation, Abs(f1.XScaleFactor))
 pt3 = ThisDrawing.Utility.PolarPoint(pt2, f1.Rotation - Radians90, Abs(f1.YScaleFactor))
 pt4 = ThisDrawing.Utility.PolarPoint(pt3, f1.Rotation - (2 * Radians90), Abs(f1.XScaleFactor))

' put them into an array
 dLineArray(0) = f1.InsertionPoint(0)
 dLineArray(1) = f1.InsertionPoint(1)
 dLineArray(2) = f1.InsertionPoint(2)
 dLineArray(3) = pt2(0)
 dLineArray(4) = pt2(1)
 dLineArray(5) = pt2(2)
 dLineArray(6) = pt3(0)
 dLineArray(7) = pt3(1)
 dLineArray( = pt3(2)
 dLineArray(9) = pt4(0)
 dLineArray(10) = pt4(1)
 dLineArray(11) = pt4(2)

' draw a polyline that matches fixture
 Set entPolyline = ThisDrawing.ModelSpace.AddPolyline(dLineArray)
 entPolyline.Closed = True
 entPolyline.Layer = "0"

' return polyline object
 Set GetPolyFixture = entPolyline

End Function