layers objects ?

cadman2012

how to know the objects on a layer with out using isolat layer order to isolate every layer to find out its objects

Edited by cadman2012
wrong word

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Not sure if you meant to post this in the lisp forum, but here comes a non lisp solution.

There is a wonderful command called LAYWALK (for Layer Walk), which I usually access from

the LAYERS2 toolbar, which has lots of good commands on it.

In Layer Walk, you can just scroll through all the layers by just using your keyboard arrows for

up or down. Really fast and helpful. You can also use it to create filters, which can include wildcards *,

and be saved for frequent use. Largely overlooked I think, great tool!

There is a wonderful command called LAYWALK (for Layer Walk), which I usually access from

the LAYERS2 toolbar, which has lots of good commands on it.

In Layer Walk, you can just scroll through all the layers by just using your keyboard arrows for

up or down. Really fast and helpful. You can also use it to create filters, which can include wildcards *,

and be saved for frequent use. Largely overlooked I think, great tool!

THANKS for assisting Dadgad but the (LAYWALK) displays a dialog box and prevent any interaction with the model space

so it works fine in displaying the select layer objects only but at this point i want to be able edit move these object to another layer

& Ctrl+1 displays properties only for the selected object ???

Sorry, a great tool, but obviously I don't really understand your goal.

Do you know that you can OFFSET selected objects to another LAYER?

Or might the COPYTOLAYER command be helpful for you?

i just received a drawing that contains 92 layers which slows down the prog it contains arch & mech objects so i want to put all the doors on one layer all the walls on another one to minimize the layer numbers greatly so i can focus on the mech part

92 isn't that many layers, I wouldn't expect it to have that big an effect on your machine unless it's a particular old machine.

Have you checked the state of the original drawing? Make sure you do an AUDIT and -PURGE (type both things on the command line and you'll get instructions what to do next, with purge make sure you specify regapps first, then repeat for everything else).

Do bear in mind that any changes you make to a consultant's drawing will need to be repeated every time you update their drawing. It's *very* easy to waste *a lot* of time tidying consultants drawings (trust me, I know lol).

You talk about moving all doors to one layer and all walls to another. Are there layers for different types of door (maybe they differentiate between internal and external doors?) or different types of wall (internal and external walls are nearly always on different layers, they may sometimes be differentiated by construction), or is it purely down to poor draftmanship?

If they are deliberately on different layers, and you stil want to combine them, then LAYMRG as Dadgad suggests probably is the may to go. If it is just shoddy drawings you;ll end up with doors on wall layers and the like. In this instance what I'd do is freeze the door layer I want to keep, then search round my drawing moving any doors I see onto this layers (because the main layer's frozen I know that any door I can see is on the wrong layer). I'd then thaw the door layer and repeat for walls and so on for the other layers I want to keep.

dJE

i just received a drawing that contains 92 layers which slows down the prog it contains arch & mech objects so i want to put all the doors on one layer all the walls on another one to minimize the layer numbers greatly so i can focus on the mech part

LAYTRANS is particularly useful if you are regularly driven to distraction by drawings from a frequent contractor, or repeat offender,

as you can save the mapping for use whenever dealing with said individual, and it will sort it out for you. :beer: