Drawing file is write protected (DWG was opened by other user) Autocad 2010

This same drawing is being opened with other user at the same time with me, and i am updating some stuffs in the drawing, that user is not in the office, i understand that when i tried to save the dwg it will tell me" Drawing file is write protected" My question is can i keep continue to update the drawing? if the other user close this file on his computer will i lost my stuff? thanks

This same drawing is being opened with other user at the same time with me, and i am updating some stuffs in the drawing, that user is not in the office, i understand that when i tried to save the dwg it will tell me" Drawing file is write protected" My question is can i keep continue to update the drawing? if the other user close this file on his computer will i lost my stuff? thanks
No, you won't lose your changes, but if the other user has made changes since you opened the file, those changes will be wiped out when you save your copy back to the original drawing on the network server.

If the other user has not made any changes to the drawing, you are still good, but to be on the safe side, do the following; Copy (Save As) your version of the drawing to your C: drive under another name. This will take you out of the original drawing without making any changes to it. You can then continue to work in this NEW copy of the drawing.

You will have to work out with your co-worker what to do about getting all the changes back into the original drawing when they return. The best case would be that the other user has not made any changes, and you can simply open your new copy of the drawing and then Save As Original Drawing Name once the other user closes the drawing.

You are in the middle of learning all about the reason the drawings open as Read Only when a second person opens one that is already open, and why most employers really frown upon doing this.

Thanks, Dana W for your suggestion, i can do save as with other name just to be safe and will communicate with the other user if he has made any change to the drawing, i just don't want to wasting my time to wait until the person come back and so i can do the update.