MK2 Grenade - Work In Progress

Rewind23

Hey Guys..I am trying to model a MK2 Grenade, and I wish I got more time coz I usually dedicate time for this after my work around 2-3 hours and I hope to finish the final render and submit this to the Project Challenges section. And now, I'm almost done with the modeling part, its now time for the texture and materials. I need your advice what is the best approach to texture this?Do I need to start the Checker Mapping first?Below is the final model of my own version of MK2 Grenade:

Thanks in Advance! Cheers! :)

PrintScreen-Max2.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rewind23

• spittle

• Cad64

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally I prefer not to unwrap stuff like this, these links may give some ideas if you wanted to procedurally texture something like this:

This relies on dense geometry e.g. If model is ready to Turbosmooth:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/vertex_map_wear/vertex_map_wear.htm

This is also handy:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/ambient_occlusion_rust/ambient_occlusion_rust.htm

I use these a lot.

I don't UV unwrap at all anymore, at least not manually. I take everything into ZBrush and use UVMaster. It seriously is just a simple click of a button to unwrap your model. Then I paint my base textures and export everything out for import back into Max or Modo for final texture painting and rendering.

That's a decent and valid method. But for those not familiar with procedurals, they provide some unique benefits. You don't necessarily need to paint anything so you don't need to be up to speed in photoshop. Also they're independent of resolution. You can easily apply it to thousands of objects. And it can be saved (more or less) for use in your next project.

Looking good so far. :thumbsup:

Yes, you will need to UV Unwrap your model for texturing. There are lots of free tutorials online that cover UV mapping: https://www.google.com/#q=studio+max+uv+unwrap

Thanks Cad64. I'll give it a shot. Hopefully to finish the texture over the weekend..Im still learning the basics on How to texture a 3D objects in Max so this might take some time for me. I'll give you guys updates regarding the progress of my textures & materials.

Personally I prefer not to unwrap stuff like this, these links may give some ideas if you wanted to procedurally texture something like this:

This relies on dense geometry e.g. If model is ready to Turbosmooth:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/vertex_map_wear/vertex_map_wear.htm

This is also handy:

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/ambient_occlusion_rust/ambient_occlusion_rust.htm

I use these a lot.

Thanks for the links Spittle. This will be helpful and give me more opportunity to learn especially that procedural texture mapping technique.. Im still a beginner in texturing that's why this might take some time for me. I'll read on about the links you posted to get some ideas. Cheers! :)

No worries - guess there's enough info to wet your appetite whichever way you prefer.

Yeah thats right..hopefully I can execute all those stuff...maybe not now, but in the future..:lol:

Hey Guys, this is just to update you regarding my WIP..I just did some lighting setup...I still need to finalize the textures & materials (learning in progress :geek:). Here's my sample render:

Also, I'm having some issues..I cant run the downloaded script from Neil Blevins blog (the one from Spittle posted links). Any idea how to run this?I tried the "Run Script" under MAxscript but nothing happens. If I cant use it for now, I'll probably try other options for texturing.

Thanks in Advance! Regards

myGrenade Lighting Set-Up-Sky&Sun.jpg

myGrenade Lighting Set-Up-HDRI.jpg

Nice progress so far. It's usually handy to find reference photographs and that gives you something to aim for, then it's a case of figuring out best way to acheive that result - and it also gives you a bit of a benchmark to gauge your progress.

Re scripts - once they're installed, look for the script with 'UI' or 'script lister' (cant remember but its something along those lines). Run that and that will give you an interface for the rest.

Nice progress so far. It's usually handy to find reference photographs and that gives you something to aim for, then it's a case of figuring out best way to acheive that result - and it also gives you a bit of a benchmark to gauge your progress.

Re scripts - once they're installed, look for the script with 'UI' or 'script lister' (cant remember but its something along those lines). Run that and that will give you an interface for the rest.

'

Thanks Spittle.. I agree. Reference photographs helps a lot, you can easily imagine the concept of model & textures. Re Script- I'll try it. I'm just using the "Run Script", maybe I'm not doing the right way to use it. Regards :)

Actually I recall you need to go into customize user interface, and set a keyboard shortcut for Soulburn scripts.

I'll have a better look tomorrow If you get stuck.

Actually I recall you need to go into customize user interface, and set a keyboard shortcut for Soulburn scripts.

I'll have a better look tomorrow If you get stuck.

Wow! Thanks a lot Spittle...Sure, some screenshots (if you dont mind) on how to setup the script will work for me. Regards :D

No worries but just to clarify - you don't need to adjust the script, you just need to create your button or shortcut to run it.

One of the menus at the top of max will be customize user interface. This is typical for installing plugins.

No worries but just to clarify - you don't need to adjust the script, you just need to create your button or shortcut to run it.

One of the menus at the top of max will be customize user interface. This is typical for installing plugins.

Ok..I'll post an update if given a chance by tomorrow. Thanks for the tip. Cheers! 8)

I just checked my notes and this is what I did to get that script working:

After installing the soulburnscripts, open Studio Max and go to Customize Menu > Customize User Interface > Toolbars. Scroll down the list until you get to "BlendedBoxMapMakerUI". Click and drag this up to one of the toolbars and drop it. This will automatically create a button for you and the script is now ready to use.

I'm assuming you installed everything into the proper directories?

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\images: This contains images required by the scripts.

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\lib: This contains libraries of functions required by the scripts.

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\scripts: The scripts.

c:\3dsmax\ui\icons: Adds a bunch of icons, they all start with the word "SoulburnScripts_".

c:\3dsmax\ui\macroscripts: the SoulburnScripts.mcr and SoulburnScriptsExtras.mcr files.

c:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg\SoulburnScripts\presets: This contains

presets for the scripts, which you can save by hitting the "SaveDef" button on any of the UI mode of the scripts. Don't edit any of these files

unless you know what you're doing. To find your local path, replace "username" with whatever account you're using to log into windows, and

replace "2009 - 64bit" with whatever version of max you're running.

If you make a button/shortcut for 'SoulburnScriptsListerUI' it will give you a drop down menu for all of them.

Make sure you check out the 'texmappreview' script. When you have a map selected in the material editor then this will render a preview of only this map. Useful for quick renders when setting up your shaders. Works with mr, Vray works but not with exposure control.... yet.

I just checked my notes and this is what I did to get that script working:

After installing the soulburnscripts, open Studio Max and go to Customize Menu > Customize User Interface > Toolbars. Scroll down the list until you get to "BlendedBoxMapMakerUI". Click and drag this up to one of the toolbars and drop it. This will automatically create a button for you and the script is now ready to use.

I'm assuming you installed everything into the proper directories?

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\images: This contains images required by the scripts.

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\lib: This contains libraries of functions required by the scripts.

c:\3dsmax\scripts\SoulburnScripts\scripts: The scripts.

c:\3dsmax\ui\icons: Adds a bunch of icons, they all start with the word "SoulburnScripts_".

c:\3dsmax\ui\macroscripts: the SoulburnScripts.mcr and SoulburnScriptsExtras.mcr files.

c:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\2009 - 64bit\enu\plugcfg\SoulburnScripts\presets: This contains

presets for the scripts, which you can save by hitting the "SaveDef" button on any of the UI mode of the scripts. Don't edit any of these files

unless you know what you're doing. To find your local path, replace "username" with whatever account you're using to log into windows, and

replace "2009 - 64bit" with whatever version of max you're running.

Yes Cad64, everything was set into place I got it now working. But I didnt drag any toolbars, this is cool..I'll try it. I just created my own Hotkey for "Soulburnscripts". That's all I did. I like having my own button in the Toolbars Menu. Thanks for the input. 8)

Also, Do I need to replace 2009 - 64bit? But I didnt see any 2009 in the Root/Program Directory. Its already 2011 - 64bit.Thanks

If you make a button/shortcut for 'SoulburnScriptsListerUI' it will give you a drop down menu for all of them.

Make sure you check out the 'texmappreview' script. When you have a map selected in the material editor then this will render a preview of only this map. Useful for quick renders when setting up your shaders. Works with mr, Vray works but not with exposure control.... yet.

This is informative..Ill take note of this..Thanks again! Regards