z value at intersection points in 3d polyline and poly

jaychandran

How do you find the difference between Z and Z on the same intersection? It can't be done... The answer is just what Patrick said. You'd be able to do it if you can tell me the difference between red and red.

How is the answer always zero? In Plan View, the entities on the 3D_Polyline layer has varying +/- Z value, and the entities on the polyline layer also has varying +/- Z values. Where they intersect in XY plane oriented in the Top View of the WCS would yield a difference in Z values between the two entities. This is how I'm interpreting the OP's inquiry.

Unless I'm missing something?

*^C^Cdimlinear;\\\erase;l;\

Semi automated dimension that you can use to find Z... or anything that you need really. Why would he not have a dimension on a point that he needs to know anyways? If it's important enough to know it's important enough to detail, right?

This is how I'm interpreting the OP's inquiry.

Did you download the OP's drawing and actually look at his data?

Did you download the OP's drawing and actually look at his data?
Yeah I did... I just think he wants a difference of the plines on one layer vs the 3D plines on another layer where they overlap (intersect) while in a Plan (Top) View. Using ID command with Nearest OSnap, I'm seeing different elevations on the same 3D polylines.

I still may be totally missing it though so please don't hesitate to set me straight. :)

When I looked at the drawing, I got the impression that it was a contoured map. The yellow lines being the contours, and the cyan lines being rivers (?) and roads (?) drawn to match the lie of the land.

As contours are at one level, then an ID at any point would produce a z value.

When you zoom in close, and ID an Endpoint of the cyan line which coincides with an Endpoint of the contour, then the z value is identical.

Thus the OP's request for a Lisp is absolute nonsense, because the vertical distance between the endpoints (intersection points) is zero because they are the same point.

Perhaps I was looking in a different part of the drawing.

I would imagine that is why the request was made, to check that they are at the same levels automatically, I also read it as a contour map, but it does need some serious cleaning up the polylines are good but the 3dpolylines are a mess

When I looked at the drawing, I got the impression that it was a contoured map. The yellow lines being the contours, and the cyan lines being rivers (?) and roads (?) drawn to match the lie of the land.

As contours are at one level, then an ID at any point would produce a z value.

When you zoom in close, and ID an Endpoint of the cyan line which coincides with an Endpoint of the contour, then the z value is identical.

Thus the OP's request for a Lisp is absolute nonsense, because the vertical distance between the endpoints (intersection points) is zero because they are the same point.

Perhaps I was looking in a different part of the drawing.

Now that I've inspected the drawing more closely you're right, all the intersections already occupy the exact same Z value. The request isn't needed because the drawing contains identical Z values at every intersection.

Got it!! ;)

I can't do lisp, but here is a visual method of checking, change SHADEMODE = hidden, then use the two toolpalette macros to move a region up and down over the map, it needs 2 jumps per contour and is placed 0.1 below the contours.

UP

^C^C^Cm;g;test;;0,0;0,0,1;

DOWN

^C^C^Cm;g;test;;0,0;0,0,-1;

Change the last number for a finer movement.

The region start elevation is 21.9 just below the first contour. If you change the last number in the macro to 0.1 and add a repeat to the macro it gives a nice 'animation' just don't forget to hit ESC at some point.

Test(map).dwg

jay: What is the source of your drawing? Was it originally created using an AutoDesk vertical product such as Civil 3D? Do you have a surface model?

How is the answer always zero? In Plan View, the entities on the 3D_Polyline layer has varying +/- Z value, and the entities on the polyline layer also has varying +/- Z values. Where they intersect in XY plane oriented in the Top View of the WCS would yield a difference in Z values between the two entities. This is how I'm interpreting the OP's inquiry.

Tanner I was for the most part being flippant - if the lines actually intersected there would be zero distance. I had not opened the drawing.