Sides of hexagonal prism

jscushman

I have a part that's roughly a flat sheet (2 in x 1 in x 1/16 in). In an assembly, I'm trying to make a pattern such that this part becomes the six sides of a hexagonal prism. I can't figure out how to get all of the faces pointing in towards the center when I create a pattern, instead of all of the faces pointing in the same arbitrary direction. In general, what kind of constraint in the assembly would make the faces all point towards a center axis?

Thanks!

There are many way to do this. But here is what I did with working the items you have. It took about a minute to solve it. I always try to constrain a part using its orgin planes and axis to the assemblies planes and axis.

Delete the component pattern.

Delete the Ground on the Sides part.

Mate the Sides YZ plane to the Assembly YZ plane . (This centers the height of the Sides to Assembly origin)

Mate one of the inside vertical corner edges with the Assembly X Axis. Set offset distance to 1". (Pick an inside edge that parallels the assemblies X axis)

Create an Angle constrain between the assemblies XY Plane and the Sides inside face. Set angle to 30 deg (or -30 deg may be needed to orient correctly)

Create a mate constraint between the Sides XY plane and the Assemblies X Axis (This will center the width of the Sides about the Assembly origin)

Component Circular pattern using the Assembly X Axis for the pattern axis, circular count at 6, and circular angle at 60.

Edited by ecshclark