jonnypants

I know that in ACAD you can use the xref manager to see where the actual file for the xref resides on your computer/server/etc. What I'm curious about is whether or not the inverse action is possible. Can you somehow access the file (not the output sheet where it's being xref-ed) and see what other files are using it as an xref?

I've come in on a project that is nearing completion and have been assigned the task of "cleaning up the project folder." Unfortunately, there are a ton of files in the different folders that are no longer in use on the final output sheets and I need to keep the ones still in use and archive the ones that are no longer needed. What I've been doing is going through those sheets and reviewing the xref manager for each sheet to see which files are actually put onto those sheets and making a physical checklist from which to organize my findings. Once the checklist is made, I then archive all the files that are no longer being used.

Just wondering if there is a better method to this madness!

Thanks for your time!

The host drawing stores the reference information in a BlockTableRecord, and not within the referenced drawing (XREF) itself, unfortunately.

Methinks the simplest way of using OOTB tools, would be to add your directory of drawing to Reference Manager, and sort by Reference Name Column, taking note of each host drawing that contains a reference for your target XREF.

Also, if you happen to want to batch query a directory of drawings to cull this information for Excel (.CSV), etc., then this thread may be of use:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?152990-Listing-all-xrefs-attached-to-a-group-of-(unopened)-drawings-to-xls-file

HTH

Just tried it and I love it!!

That is kind of you to say; I'm flattered that you liked it.

... does it get freaked out if someone has circular references?

That's an excellent question, if memory serves, since the quickly written app only takes into consideration first level external reference(s), I should think that no circular reference(s) will present an issue, as inherently that could only exist as a nested reference (within a first level reference)... Though, admittedly, I've not tested for that as very few references are made as an attachment in my work (nearly all are overlay instead).

Cheers

FWIW -

I haven't posted this yet, as I'm simply not done yet (coding only in your personal time takes a lot longer than you might expect!), but I've already ported the LISP code you liked to .NET API. Put simply, the query portion of the two is significantly faster in .NET, enough to justify porting the code from the outset, but then also exposes additional features, that again, I simply haven't finished adding into this app.

Quick snippet of working code:

bbox.BatchFindXref.jpg

I keep trying to learn LISP but I'm so busy at work that when I think of a need for a LISP I don't have a short search always turns up a usful LISP especially when I can't warrant the time it would take to create a new one for practice.

Might have to get a book on LISP to read at home.

Run DesignCenter (Ctrl+2) and use the Search option (spy-glass). In the 'Look for' field select Xrefs, enter the name of your drawing (or its part with an asterisk) and press Search Now.

I keep trying to learn LISP but I'm so busy at work that when I think of a need for a LISP I don't have a short search always turns up a usful LISP especially when I can't warrant the time it would take to create a new one for practice.

Might have to get a book on LISP to read at home.

The code I linked took me +/- 15 minutes (admittedly pulling from other routines)... Like anything else, it tends to get easier the more you do it.

David Stein's book was invaluable to me when first starting out:

Visual LISP Developer's Bible, 2011 Edition - David M. Stein, only $6.99 at Amazon :thumbsup:

vldb_cover_2011.JPG?height=320&width=244

This is a great book, and David's a really nice guy personally as well (had an opportunity to speak with him).

Run DesignCenter (Ctrl+2) and use the Search option (spy-glass). In the 'Look for' field select Xrefs, enter the name of your drawing (or its part with an asterisk) and press Search Now.

Great tip, RKent! :thumbsup:

Great tip, RKent! :thumbsup:

I agree whole heartedly, a very useful bit of virtual legerdemain for curious users of the magic box,

courtesy of rkent, the Kludgemeister! :beer: