Surface between 2 curved solids

Raygers

This is probably very easy, but not for me at the moment, I'm almost ready to give up :surrender:

I have 2 sides 1/4" thick both with the same curve on the bottom edge, the curve is not a constant radius along its length.

I am trying to produce a bottom face between the 2 sides but every attempt is met with failure.

If someone could point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Ray

Capture.jpg

Edited by Raygers
Attaching image

Surface loft from edge to edge, then thicken.

If that doesn't work, or you can't figure out how, attach your files and we'll have a look.

I couldn't get that to work for me. I could do it by going back to AutoCAD with one of the side panels and create a end surface of the bottom then extrude that 48", but I'd like to be able to do it all in Inventor.

I was going to ask about another problem but I should start a new thread for that.

PDRacer.zip

Okay, I see what your problem is here.

First off, you need to nail down some of the fundamentals of using Inventor. There's some things that you're doing that makes absolutely no sense, and you probably shouldn't be doing it that way. Side Wall 1.ipt is a good example of this. Your sketches are not constrained, and there are no dimensions. It sounds like you're using AutoCAD for your sketches, and this is a MASSIVE waste of your time. Learn how to work with Inventor's sketch environment, and you'll get a lot further, a lot quicker. Also, you're not using the origin planes in any obvious way here for setting up your parts or assembly. Working around the origin for symmetry, etc., will REALLY help you out a LOT.

(Hint: find a post by user JDMather, and go through the tutorials in his sig line. Seriously. That's how I started off with Inventor back in 2009. Some of the things in the interface will look a little different with Inventor 2014, but the principles are still applicable, and the tools are all still there.)

As far as the bottom hull piece for your boat, I've attached a couple files here. Replace your original .IAM file with the one attached, and copy the .IPT file to the directory where you've got the rest of the parts, you'll see more or less what I did to make it.

If I have time tonight, I'll re-make the rest of your parts as well, to show you some better techniques, particularly in the sketch area.

boat hull.zip

Thanks Bishop, I looked at your files and I do see the difference, it looks like I jumped in at the deep end without learning to swim first. I did all the sketches in Inventor but deleted the dimensions after drawing the sketch, thinking "I don't need those, they'll just get in the way" :facepalm:

I did one of JDMather's tutorials last night, I'm going to do the tut's and start again from scratch. I already have it drawn up in AutoCAD and Google sketch but this program is more challenging.

Thanks again, you'll be seeing me back here again I'm sure.

It's only more challenging when you start out. As you progress further, you'll find that there is nothing you can do in AutoCAD that you can't do better and more efficiently in Inventor. Some things may not always be as fast - for instance, a quick drawing of a simple flange might be quicker in AutoCAD - but the second time that you need to use that part for something, you'll see where it's more efficient in Inventor. :)

Keep at it, and feel free to keep coming back with questions, and always remember: when JD Mather tells you to do something a certain way, do it that way. Whether or not it seems to make sense at first, there's a reason, and you'll figure out what it was eventually. :)