help generating blocks with attributes from equipment list in csv format

oompa_l

Hi

I'm not sure what the way to go about doing what I want. I have a pretty extensive equipment list that I want to drive the deneration of simple plan represenations - each would be a rectangle with width and length and maybe some text fields identifying the obect. Does anyone have any solutions for something like this? Do I need to write it from scratch in LISP?

thanks

O

It would make any answers more to the point, if you could post a few samples to show what it is you want to achieve, and the sort of information you have to start with.

i've attached a starting point I just put together. I made a dynamic block with width and length parameters. I made some attributes for the equipment's id, its height and weight.

My csv will have fields like the following:

ID Program Qty Equipment Name L (in) W (in) H (in) Wt (kg)

MACH01 MACHINING 5 Kondia Mills 60 65 85 1200

MACH02 MACHINING 8 Maximart Mills 67 72 87 1000

MACH03 MACHINING 17 Bridgeport Mills 60 65 82 1180

MACH04 MACHINING 20 Colchester Lathes 105 50 52 1500

I want each instance of the block to pick up the width and height and represent them in the rectangle. I want the "ID" "H" and "Wt" values to show up as attributes. Alternatively, each instance could be its own block I suppose, instead of the same one being adjusted by its dimensions.

Please let me know if you need more info to understand.

thanks so much!EQP-BLOCK-02.dwg

This is a simple output for a partial block generated using excel, you can copy and paste the text directly into Autocad's command line, or run it as a script. It can also be copied directly from an excel spreadsheet or using VBA output as a text file or Autocad script file. Having said that LISP may offer better options, if any LISP programmers are about.

-attdef

ID

MACH01

Program

MACHINING

rectangle
-block
test
all

-insert
test

The only thing missing in a simple script is how you are going to do the insertion point for the block, compare the two lines below expects the block MACH01 to exist use steven-g code to create. NOTE the spaces not ","

Insert MACH01 (getpoint) 1 1 0 "MACHINING 5 Kondia Mills" 60 65 85 1200

MACH01 MACHINING 5 Kondia Mills 60 65 85 1200