How to Delete Holes in Hatch Left from Removing Dimensions

BakedPotato

Hello all,

I am working in AutoCAD 2008 on a subdivision plan that has several sheet layouts. The roads in the subdivision are dimensioned and have a pavement hatch. In one of the layouts, however, we want to turn off the dimensions, but leave the hatching. When I freeze the dimensions in that viewport, the pavement hatch is left with holes wherever the dimension text had been.

Other threads had suggested going through Hatch Edit > Remove Boundary > Select all the "island" boundaries. When I select the hatch, though, no boundaries show up around the holes left by the dimension text.

Is there any way I can turn off dimensions in one layout without leaving holes in the hatch?

Hatch edit >> click the Island detection selection for None.

Of course, when you turn the dimension layer back on, there will no longer be a void in the hatch around the dimension. Depending on the density of the hatch, it could make the dimensions hard to read.

Hatch edit >> click the Island detection selection for None.

Of course, when you turn the dimension layer back on, there will no longer be a void in the hatch around the dimension. Depending on the density of the hatch, it could make the dimensions hard to read.

I am not seeing the Island detection setting in my Hatch edit dialogue box (see attached screenshot). Also, when I change this setting, will it affect the display of my hatch/dimensions in the other layouts (I'm only turning off the dimensions in one layout)?

Thanks for the reply!

HATCHEDIT.jpg

I am not seeing the Island detection setting in my Hatch edit dialogue box (see attached screenshot). Also, when I change this setting, will it affect the display of my hatch/dimensions in the other layouts (I'm only turning off the dimensions in one layout)?

Thanks for the reply!

Once you get the dialog window expanded as Remark says, what will be changed is the particular hatch that you edit. Also, while you are in the hatch edit dialog, check "Separate Hatches" so the hatch area you are editing will be disengaged from any others that might have been "Hatched" along with it. Otherwise,, the edit might also affect them too. Are the hatches in modelspace? If so, the change will be shown in any viewport that particular hatch is in.

Personally, I never use island detection. I always make sure my hatches are light enough that any dimensions or notes are not obscured by the hatch. I always draworder dimensions to the front.

Oops...thank you ReMark!!

I've set the island display style for my hatch to be "ignore" (see image). (No matter which of the three options I selected, the "Island detection" checkbox remained grayed out.) This almost worked, but there are still two renegade text "holes" in my hatch. Any suggestions?

HatchIsland.jpg

I wonder if someone has TRIMed those renegade holes in there. I have actually done that myself when island detection normal is required, and the stupid hatch routine refuses to see a couple of dimensions. It happens. I will draw a rectangle around those dimension texts and TRIM the hatch out, then erase the rectangle.

Yes, if the hatch was initiated with Island detection turned on, you can't completely turn it off. You must choose one of the three display styles.

You may be dealing with a couple or more separate hatch areas.

If you can't get it to work, you may be better off at this point to simply erase the hatch and re-do it, while the dimension layer is off or frozen. Unfortunately, the hatch function has always been a tiny bit buggy, especially in hatch edit, and especially if the hatch is associative. It can do unpredictable things at times. It may not change the way you want it to, or not change at all.

Low or even average performing graphics cards can cause problems with hatching. I have even had problems with larger areas of associative hatches while using hot rod work stations designed specifically for CAD drafting.

I like associative hatches, but I will absolutely NEVER leave the create separate hatches option unchecked.

Somewhere way down deep in the bowels of the AutoDesk programming department, there are still a half dozen code geeks in broken horn rimmed glasses struggling with adapting to the idiosyncrasies of several thousand different graphics cards and their drivers.