Import excel spreadsheet?

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to import Excel spreadsheets into my drawing, instead of using the tables? (Using AutoCAD LT 2014)

I guess technically it would be easiest if I could import LibreOffice Calc spreadsheets, but I can get access to Excel easily enough if it's the only option.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

If simply having the data in your DWG is the main objective, then read on....

I have my Excel file authors print to PDF, then I attach the PDF file.

When an update is needed, the Excel file author simply updates the PDF.

When the DWG file is opened, I have the latest.

This eliminates data loss, formatting issues, etc.

We use a program called Autotable (it is a plugin for AutoCAD), it inserts your excel table as a block with all borders as lines/polylines and all shading is brought in as a hatch. The entire table can be updated in a few clicks once the excel sheet is changed. The biggest thing for us is it allows us to bring in shapes (which we occasionally use on our Electrical Load Calculations).

Like I guess Autotable you can do any thing you like it really depends on what you want table, blocks, text, lines. You can have dynamic links that change your drawing objects find the example called SHAFT that was distrubuted with autocad a few years ago change the number in excel you dwg part changed.

Reading and writing both ways is fairly simple via programs.