plotting raster image reduces quality?

Hearbirds

we were working on some planning stuff, altogether more than 100ha in area.

in Cad2006, I assembled 6 pieces of colored plans (jpg), each above 10 MB. I did this because scaling and aligning files this size in Photoshop is a real pain and inaccurate.. anyway, when I printed them to pdf (I did select for maximum quality in printing dialog), the lines in the image was a bit fuzzy when viewed for original size. the original ones are sharp as hell on the same scale. and I made sure I DID NOT print larger than the original. luckily the quality loss was not obvious for final use on the A1 poster. still, I wonder if anything can be done to output losslessly.

in CAD;

QQ截图20140113100558.jpg

plotting;

QQ截图20140113101128.jpg

plotted and viewed 100%;

QQ截图20140113101212.jpg

source image at appr. same scale

QQ截图20140113101313.jpg

source image viewed 100%;

QQ截图20140113101247.jpg

Edited by Hearbirds

Try printing to a high resolution TIF and see it it makes any difference. Also, the images can be inserted into autocad drawing in 2 different ways resulting in 2 different object - that might affect quality as well.

A suggestion: scale the images separately and use GIMP (layer difference option) to align & merge into one big drawing. I did that recently when I had to create a high resolution image from a 3D model screenshots.

Does it look good on the monitor?

What plotters are you using? What are you using to create the PDF?

good question, I've updated the post

Try printing to a high resolution TIF and see it it makes any difference. Also, the images can be inserted into autocad drawing in 2 different ways resulting in 2 different object - that might affect quality as well.

A suggestion: scale the images separately and use GIMP (layer difference option) to align & merge into one big drawing. I did that recently when I had to create a high resolution image from a 3D model screenshots.

the reason I can't use photoshop to align and merge is that the file is too huge for my pc, and not as convinient as ALIGN in CAD.

alright... I got it.

since plotter question was brought up, I figure I should try some other printer or format.

so I created a tiff printer and manually set DPI to 300, paper size calculated for A1.

the result looks good this time. (except the file, is 265MB :lol: )

I guess pdf is not the best afterall. thanks everyone!